Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
djenyc djenyc is offline

Default Mechanical Enginnering for Dummies - any suggestion on design making? Load ratings for common wood and steel materials like 2X4s etc

On Sep 27, 4:20 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"djenyc" wrote in message

ups.com...

Just on the off chance that this one is still around (these texts often go
through many editions), the basic one I use is _Statics & Strength of
Materials_ by Bassin, Brodsky, and Wolkoff. Mine is the 2nd edition, 1969,
McGraw-Hill.

It should be ideal for what you need. It even includes tables of properties
for many materials, including different types of wood. But those are easy to
find on the Web. And don't forget to ask here. There is a wealth of such
information in the heads of the members of this NG.

BTW, if you *really* want to know about wood, there is an excellent and
enjoyable book titled _Understanding Wood_, by R. Bruce Hoadley (I hope I
have the spelling right). This is no text -- it's written for the
hobbyist -- but I hear it's used in technology classes, too. It's published
by Taunton Press.

--
Ed Huntress

Thanks Ed! My local library has great online feature - I can look for
books including inter-library loans from other libraries and make a
loan-request online. Saves me an extra trip and time. And they call me
up when the book is ready for pick-up, usually takes them 3-5 days. I
actually just found and put in a request for Statics & Strength of
Materials - 1988 edition and located Understanding Wood at the local
library. Will check them out.

Ross