Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

According to Pete C. :
Chris Lewis wrote:

[Not counting builtin microwave either - that's supposed to be a dedicated
circuit, just like yours. Doesn't have to be 20A tho. Fridge, garburator,
dishwasher each a dedicated circuit too. With some minor permissible addons
(clocks etc). CEC is stricter on dedicated kitchen circuits than the NEC.
Or at least it was.]

It's not really a built in microwave, just a dedicated shelf space for a
regular one. Fridge is indeed another separate 20A circuit. Disposal and
dishwasher each share (separately) one of the 20A circuits feeding a
"quad".

They're required to be dedicated circuits here (DW officially, disposal
"usually"), and you can't share kitchen counter outlets with anything
else regardless.

The older "split receptacle" requirement was that you could put
at most two split duplex receptacles on a dual breaker, you
couldn't put the two split receptacles adjacent to each other on
a counter, and every kitchen had to have at least two splits.
Eg: on a short counter requiring two receptacles, they had to be
different dual circuits. I assume they're doing the same thing
with the new single 20A/GFCI version.

You can do the same trick with splits - remembering that the neutrals
on the split have to be split too (four current carrying conductors
into the box) - you have to split _both_ the neutral and hots on the line side
of the GFCI outlet pair. But that starts to get obnoxious. When the kitchen
gets reno'd, I _may_ splurge on dual GFCI breakers. And make 'em 20A while
I'm at it ;-) Same as your quads, but in just one receptacle ;-)

I like my quads, particularly with the fixed use items in my kitchen
that take up outlets - wall wart for cat water fountain dish, wall wart
for cordless phone base, and night light - there go three outlet spaces
right there.

That's what "hexes" are for ;-) [6-way receptacle blocks that
plug into a receptacle.]

They have the advantage of not being there if you don't need 'em. Most
(all?) are even compatible with split duplex receptacles - meaning
three outlets each on two circuits.
--
Chris Lewis,