Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
djenyc djenyc is offline

Default Mechanical Enginnering for Dummies - any suggestion on design making? Load ratings for common wood and steel materials like 2X4s etc

On Sep 27, 11:44 am, "Doug" wrote:
djenyc sezz:

Are there any good books for home-workshop design /plans making? -
just basic practical stuff that can be readily applied, not looking
for Mechanical Engineering intro course

Look for an engineering school macine design book. It will have good
references for the section modulus of various shapes and materials as well
as the simple formulas for calculating beam deflections, etc.

One example:

Machine Elements in Mechanical Design
Mott, Robert
ISBN: 0130618853
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Lebanon, Indiana, U.S.A.
Publication Date: 2004

Doug, thanks for the book info.

So far I've found a lot of good metalworking books in pdf format on
http://www.metalwebnews.com/ed.html. I've been reading Farm Shop
Practice, US Army - Fundamentals of Machine Tools, US Navy - Machinery
Repairman Handbook, US Army - Welding Theory and Application, Aussie
Weld - The Welding Tutorial. That and some books from local library
and through inter-library loans. They were easy to read, but none went
in to design details. On the other hand, books on mechanical
engineering that I saw in local library were written for college
courses, while I was looking for a few hundred pages farmer series
type booklet . A problem with college course, imho - an overview
course will not go in to enough details to be of practical use, and
detailed courses go too far in to theory/formulas and procedures
applicable to industrial production ...not ballpark figures for hack-
jobs I'm in to I mean, may be I'm wrong, but the stuff I saw at the
library was just scary