Posted to alt.home.repair
John Ross John Ross is offline

Default What is NEC Code For This Grounding Scheme ?

RBM remove this wrote:
John, the thing you're not getting is that it's a grounding electrode
system. Everything that is part of it is connected together and becomes one.
If your outlet ground was connected to the panel or the water pipe (first 5
feet) or a ground rod, it's all the same, as they are interconnected

I think one thing that throws me off is that when they built these
houses, they just connected to the nearest water pipe to the panel
(which is on the opposite side of house where water pipe enters). I
had an electrician come out and told me he would drive a ground rod
and just leave the pipe bond alone (since it is "already connected").
I asked about the 5 foot thing and as EVERY electrician in this town I
have talked to, get a blank look or a "I never heard of that." You can
see why I am going crazy.

But back to your comment about the "grounding electrode system." I
thought that 5 foot rule was because of people replacing pipes with
plastic. OK, so that makes sense if you look at it as a ground to
earth. In other words, if someone adds a plastic pipe past the 5 foot,
you now have the earth ground, but I thought the idea of "bonding"
pipes was to (also) protect the pipes from becoming energized if a hot
wire touches one. So wouldn't you want a requirement to have it bonded
to other parts beyond the 5 foot also?

Another thing: Not one electrician has told me anything about 2 ground
rods; they just say one. Is that a requirement, or just something you
think is better?

Thanks for the patience It seems my city doesn't have one competent
electrician!

--
John