Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:21:29 GMT, "Pete C."

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 01:14:51 GMT, "Pete C."

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:49:33 GMT, "Pete C."

More typically, I'm the first guy, and a few years later, the next guy.
I'm just as likely to expand or add something as some future owner.

Are you saying that you don't have *any* low-power circuits that won't
ever be changed?

The only half-way reasonable
argument I've heard for using 12 on low-power circuits is that it's
more forgiving of bad workmanship. But anyone who needs that crutch
shouldn't be doing electrical work anyway.

I've never hear that, and can't even fathom the (il)logic behind it.

You might do some simple experiments with #12 and #14 wire. Pretend
you're a novice, and nick the wire when you strip it. Wrap it around a
screw connection, and then bend it back and forth like a novice does
when he's learning why he shouldn't try to stuff 5' of wire in a 1'
box. :-) You'll find that the 14 breaks easier than the 12.

I don't have any 14 ga solid wire. Everything I do is 12 ga or larger.

You shouldn't even need to do the experiment to know that the same
reason 14 is easier to handle makes it easier to break.

Perhaps, but I don't think the cost difference is that significant, even
with a complete home since you still can't use 14ga everywhere.

I probably used 1500 ft. of 14, and a lot less of everything else.
Everybody giving advice has something they think is worth "just a few
extra bucks", or "just a little extra work".

If you used that much 14 ga, you presumably have a larger than average
house,

2000 sq.ft, with an equal-sized attached shop. Everything on one
level. Lots of lighting circuits, all one light per circuit.
Highest-draw lighting fixtures are several rarely-used double
floodlights around the perimeter, 150W each.

a poorly located main panel,

Two centrally-located panels.

or other unusual configuration of
things.

It's easy to use a lot of wire in a new home, especially if you're
fond of home runs. I'm a fan of doing things that are useful and make
sense. Using #12 on low-power circuits isn't worth wasting money on,
particularly if it's borrowed money. It may seem like a small thing,
but by the time most people have paid off their home loan, they'll
have worked at least an extra week to pay for that wasted copper.
Anybody who can't think of something better to do with that week or
the income, should seek suggestions on Usenet. :-)

Wayne

I'm confused. You have a separate circuit for every light? And you scoff
at people who waste copper? I must've misunderstood some part of this.