Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
[email protected] beerguzzler50@yahoo.com is offline

Default Attaching deck ledger to concrete foundation wall

On Sep 25, 12:02 am, Tony Hwang wrote:
EXT wrote:
Personally, I would (and have done it this way) drill all the way through
the concrete foundation and run long bolts, or threaded rod, bolting your
ledger board to the wall. This way anchors cannot slip out if they don't
have a good purchase on the concrete. Remember to insert spacers between the
concrete and the ledger board, so that the bolts run through the spacers so
that the ledger has an air space between it and the concrete. This will help
keep it dry.

wrote in message
roups.com...

I am building a PT deck attached to my house and have a question about
attaching the deck ledger board. Most everything I have read talks
about connecting it to wood, not concrete.

Here's what I was thinking of doing. All my joists are going to be
2x8, so I was going to use 2x10 for the ledger board. I am going to
run 2 lapping strips of Grace Vycor ledger/flashing (it is like ice/
water shield, only 9" wide) under the siding and ledger board. Then I
am going to drill into the concrete and use 1/2"x5.5" RedHead wedge
(hot dipped galvanized) anchors--2 of them in every other joist bay
(16" OC). Next I was going to use vinyl deck ledger flashing since I
have heard that aluminum won't last well with the PT.

I want to do this right and have it last...am I on the right track?

Hi,
And flashing just to be sure to keep water away.
That's what I did when built a deck.

Why space the ledger out from the wall? If it for moisture, isn't
that what the flashing accomplishes. Good idea on the stainless wedge
bolts. I would think that if the ledger is spaced out, you loose the
strength of the ledger being up against a solid surface and are now
just relying on the actual bolts.