Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Attaching deck ledger to concrete foundation wall

I am building a PT deck attached to my house and have a question about
attaching the deck ledger board. Most everything I have read talks
about connecting it to wood, not concrete.

Here's what I was thinking of doing. All my joists are going to be
2x8, so I was going to use 2x10 for the ledger board. I am going to
run 2 lapping strips of Grace Vycor ledger/flashing (it is like ice/
water shield, only 9" wide) under the siding and ledger board. Then I
am going to drill into the concrete and use 1/2"x5.5" RedHead wedge
(hot dipped galvanized) anchors--2 of them in every other joist bay
(16" OC). Next I was going to use vinyl deck ledger flashing since I
have heard that aluminum won't last well with the PT.

I want to do this right and have it last...am I on the right track?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Personally, I would (and have done it this way) drill all the way through
the concrete foundation and run long bolts, or threaded rod, bolting your
ledger board to the wall. This way anchors cannot slip out if they don't
have a good purchase on the concrete. Remember to insert spacers between the
concrete and the ledger board, so that the bolts run through the spacers so
that the ledger has an air space between it and the concrete. This will help
keep it dry.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building a PT deck attached to my house and have a question about
attaching the deck ledger board. Most everything I have read talks
about connecting it to wood, not concrete.

Here's what I was thinking of doing. All my joists are going to be
2x8, so I was going to use 2x10 for the ledger board. I am going to
run 2 lapping strips of Grace Vycor ledger/flashing (it is like ice/
water shield, only 9" wide) under the siding and ledger board. Then I
am going to drill into the concrete and use 1/2"x5.5" RedHead wedge
(hot dipped galvanized) anchors--2 of them in every other joist bay
(16" OC). Next I was going to use vinyl deck ledger flashing since I
have heard that aluminum won't last well with the PT.

I want to do this right and have it last...am I on the right track?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building a PT deck attached to my house and have a question about
attaching the deck ledger board. Most everything I have read talks
about connecting it to wood, not concrete.

Here's what I was thinking of doing. All my joists are going to be
2x8, so I was going to use 2x10 for the ledger board. I am going to
run 2 lapping strips of Grace Vycor ledger/flashing (it is like ice/
water shield, only 9" wide) under the siding and ledger board. Then I
am going to drill into the concrete and use 1/2"x5.5" RedHead wedge
(hot dipped galvanized) anchors--2 of them in every other joist bay
(16" OC). Next I was going to use vinyl deck ledger flashing since I
have heard that aluminum won't last well with the PT.

I want to do this right and have it last...am I on the right track?

For longevity, I would use true stainless steel not galvanized hardware.
That includes the entire subfloor, not just the ledger board. After
assembly, let all the PT dry out for a few months. Then, apply a water
seal. Don't be afraid to use some silicon caulk if you see small areas not
sealing right. Functional and ugly beat purty and dysfunctional everytime.
Dave

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 8:27 pm, "H.Bunker" wrote:
wrote:
I am building a PT deck attached to my house and have a question about
attaching the deck ledger board. Most everything I have read talks
about connecting it to wood, not concrete.

Here's what I was thinking of doing. All my joists are going to be
2x8, so I was going to use 2x10 for the ledger board. I am going to
run 2 lapping strips of Grace Vycor ledger/flashing (it is like ice/
water shield, only 9" wide) under the siding and ledger board. Then I
am going to drill into the concrete and use 1/2"x5.5" RedHead wedge
(hot dipped galvanized) anchors--2 of them in every other joist bay
(16" OC). Next I was going to use vinyl deck ledger flashing since I
have heard that aluminum won't last well with the PT.

I want to do this right and have it last...am I on the right track?

Why attach the deck in the first place?

Also, since you're not supposed to use galvanized nails with the PT put
out now. I don't believe it would be wise to depend on anything
galvanized, especially a supporting end.

I think you aren't supposed to use regular galvanized...but hot dipped
is supposed to be OK. Lots of deck are being done with them and it is
acceptable by code. Most all joist hangars and corner pieces are Hot
galv too.

I am already past the point of attaching since my concrete work is
already done.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I would use silicone caulk. I don't think I've ever seen silicon caulk.
:-)

Matt

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

I live on the North Coast of Calif. I usually space my ledger out with
plastic conduit cut in 3/4" pieces.....I usually set this up on saw horses
with pre-drilled holes, joist hangers, etc.....and the plastic spacers on
back tacked on with staples or bent over small finishing nails.... I use
stainless staples with the pneumatic gun mostly but a person can do it other
ways......
You can thru bolt into the wall also for security or 2nd story applications.
I usually put thru bolts in every other spot just to make sure it stays.....
Concrete anchors will work fine though.....
The day and age of liability has jacked up the hardware in most
construction.
John Loomis
wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building a PT deck attached to my house and have a question about
attaching the deck ledger board. Most everything I have read talks
about connecting it to wood, not concrete.

Here's what I was thinking of doing. All my joists are going to be
2x8, so I was going to use 2x10 for the ledger board. I am going to
run 2 lapping strips of Grace Vycor ledger/flashing (it is like ice/
water shield, only 9" wide) under the siding and ledger board. Then I
am going to drill into the concrete and use 1/2"x5.5" RedHead wedge
(hot dipped galvanized) anchors--2 of them in every other joist bay
(16" OC). Next I was going to use vinyl deck ledger flashing since I
have heard that aluminum won't last well with the PT.

I want to do this right and have it last...am I on the right track?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:
Personally, I would (and have done it this way) drill all the way through
the concrete foundation and run long bolts, or threaded rod, bolting your
ledger board to the wall. This way anchors cannot slip out if they don't
have a good purchase on the concrete. Remember to insert spacers between the
concrete and the ledger board, so that the bolts run through the spacers so
that the ledger has an air space between it and the concrete. This will help
keep it dry.

wrote in message
oups.com...

I am building a PT deck attached to my house and have a question about
attaching the deck ledger board. Most everything I have read talks
about connecting it to wood, not concrete.

Here's what I was thinking of doing. All my joists are going to be
2x8, so I was going to use 2x10 for the ledger board. I am going to
run 2 lapping strips of Grace Vycor ledger/flashing (it is like ice/
water shield, only 9" wide) under the siding and ledger board. Then I
am going to drill into the concrete and use 1/2"x5.5" RedHead wedge
(hot dipped galvanized) anchors--2 of them in every other joist bay
(16" OC). Next I was going to use vinyl deck ledger flashing since I
have heard that aluminum won't last well with the PT.

I want to do this right and have it last...am I on the right track?

Hi,
And flashing just to be sure to keep water away.
That's what I did when built a deck.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 12:02 am, Tony Hwang wrote:
EXT wrote:
Personally, I would (and have done it this way) drill all the way through
the concrete foundation and run long bolts, or threaded rod, bolting your
ledger board to the wall. This way anchors cannot slip out if they don't
have a good purchase on the concrete. Remember to insert spacers between the
concrete and the ledger board, so that the bolts run through the spacers so
that the ledger has an air space between it and the concrete. This will help
keep it dry.

wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

Why space the ledger out from the wall? If it for moisture, isn't
that what the flashing accomplishes. Good idea on the stainless wedge
bolts. I would think that if the ledger is spaced out, you loose the
strength of the ledger being up against a solid surface and are now
just relying on the actual bolts.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

Personally, I would (and have done it this way) drill all the way through
the concrete foundation and run long bolts, or threaded rod, bolting your
ledger board to the wall. This way anchors cannot slip out if they don't
have a good purchase on the concrete. Remember to insert spacers between the
concrete and the ledger board, so that the bolts run through the spacers so
that the ledger has an air space between it and the concrete. This will help
keep it dry.

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Depends upon how high off the ground the deck sits. The deck I had
before it was torn up for a sunroom was no more than 18" off the ground.
The posts were 3' into the ground and it was not attached to the house
at all. No need for a ledger or flashing. The siding wasn't even
removed, so the rain and snow melt just ran down between the wall and deck.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

Personally, I would (and have done it this way) drill all the way through
the concrete foundation and run long bolts, or threaded rod, bolting your
ledger board to the wall. This way anchors cannot slip out if they don't
have a good purchase on the concrete. Remember to insert spacers between the
concrete and the ledger board, so that the bolts run through the spacers so
that the ledger has an air space between it and the concrete. This will help
keep it dry.

wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

My deck will be about 3.5 feet above the ground.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

Personally, I would (and have done it this way) drill all the way through
the concrete foundation and run long bolts, or threaded rod, bolting your
ledger board to the wall. This way anchors cannot slip out if they don't
have a good purchase on the concrete. Remember to insert spacers between the
concrete and the ledger board, so that the bolts run through the spacers so
that the ledger has an air space between it and the concrete. This will help
keep it dry.

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

My deck (18" above ground) was erected by me. It was 20' x 18', all PS
lumber, and I had 12 PT 4x4 posts buried 3' in the ground (3 rows of 4,
and no concrete).
All the joists were 2 x 8 16" OC and the ledger end, rim and end joists
were 2 x 10s. It was there for about 18 years and never moved up,
down, or away from the wall..
At 3.5' feet high, I would suspect that you wouldn't have any racking
either. However, it would depend upon what your building inspector wants.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

It may not be much, but around here, if it's attached to the house, it's not
added to you property taxes.

ups.com...

EXT wrote:

Personally, I would (and have done it this way) drill all the way
through
the concrete foundation and run long bolts, or threaded rod, bolting
your
ledger board to the wall. This way anchors cannot slip out if they
don't
have a good purchase on the concrete. Remember to insert spacers
between the
concrete and the ledger board, so that the bolts run through the
spacers so
that the ledger has an air space between it and the concrete. This
will help
keep it dry.

wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

replying to beerguzzler50, Justin wrote:
A little late, but just to add an idea to the thread. We drilled through the
cement block and bolted 18" pieces of L shaped angle iron vertically to the
wall using 1/2 in threaded rod. We embedded the edge of the angle iron in
caulk. Holes were drilled through the leg of the angle iron coming out from
the wall. 24 inch 2x6's were notched to accommodate the 2x8 ledger. The 24"
pieces were bolted vertically to the angle iron, such that there would be an
air space between the ledger and the wall. The ledger rested in the notches of
the 2x6, and was secured to the notched 2x6with galvanized lag bolts. If
you want the ledger to touch the wall you can attach rot proof spacers to the
ledger. The deck can be adjusted to any height from a small step below the
the threshold of the door to the threshold of the door by placement of the
angle iron and some adjustment of the vertical 2x6's

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/constr...all-10952-.htm