Tom the Tinkerer

Default Emco v-10 Chuck HELP!! :)

I believe it has a tapered spindle (havent been able to remove the backplate
to see) the three bolts on mine are allen bolts, I've tried with both the
chuck still attached and removed, and soaked the spindle in wd-40 / RP7 to
try and loosen the connection.. the 4 jaw chuck does have its own backing
plate, and if real worst comes to worst, i can probably re- machine the
backing plate to accept a new chuck, but i do like using the original parts
and this wouldnt really help in the long run, as i'd eventually run out of
backing plate

The "Locking bolt" is on a collar that fits around either the threaded
section or tapered section of the spindle (again not sure) , I believe this
had been added after market to stop the chuck spinning off when cutting in
reverse

Thanks

Tom the Tinkerer
Horologist in training
NSW Australia

"Malcolm Moore" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:20:16 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

My V-10p had a flanged spindle with three bolts holding the backing plate

it. IIRC there was a short tapered extension on the flange that centered
the backing plate. To change the chuck, you removed the three bolts

(there
was just clearance between the headstock and the flange for an open-end
wrench). The chuck and backing plate then just dropped off as a unit. I
haven't had that machine for over 20 years (wish I did, it was a nice
machine) so I'm writing this from memory and CRS set in years ago. On my
machine both the 3-jaw and 4-jaw had their own backing plates.

Your memory is probably in OK condition!
Mine has the flange with the three bolt holes as an integral part of
the spindle like yours was.
However both the instruction book and the parts manual show the
spindle as having a threaded nose. I presume mine is from a later
production?
The instruction book refers to machining the backplate in situ on the
machine to fit a particular chuck, which also attaches to it with
three bolts. It then states "A backplate which has been fitted to a
particular chuck should be left fitted to it and not used for any
other chuck, or on any other machine".
On these machines the chuck and backing plate must have to be
unscrewed to remove it. The OP's machine may be one of these.

--
Regards
Malcolm.