Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Fleming Joe Fleming is offline

Default Does your shop comply with fire safety codes?

Speaking as a guy who unintentionally, yet carelessly, set fire to his
own shop, the question not answered he what codes, guidelines,
rules, etc. that are required by a safety inspector for a home shop?

I have three fire extinguishers. I have a smoke detector in the
garage.Most of my finishes are stored in safe locations. Volatile
stuff in a metal tool chest. I sweep infrequently. I have dry or
drying wood piled high on shelving. My electrical is to code. I use
dust collection and an air filter. What else are the do's or don'ts?

Joe

On Sep 25, 4:33 pm, (Arch) wrote:
Depressing hypothetical questions, but we might do well to consider
them.

If a fire department inspector or insurance agent came unannounced to
your turning shop today, would it pass muster?

If your shop-home-garage sustained a fire today would an inspection give
the insurance company enough evidence to successfully deny your claim?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter