Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

In article , clarence at snyder dot on dot ca wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:45:28 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , clarence at snyder

dot on dot ca wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:38:39 -0700, Roy Terry
wrote:

However, as the "Joe Blow" guy who messes with outlets occasionally,
I would be quite unhappily surprised to discover by accident that I
could get 220 between some wires on the same outlet. Yikes.

Why? If you have the breaker off like you're supposed to, the voltage between
all the wires will be -zero- regardless of how the circuit is wired.

It's no surprise anyway if you know what you are doing. 3 colours in
the box means their's 220 in there somewhere. Splits will have both
red and black "lives" plus the white "nuetral"

Not correct. Three colors in the box means there *might* be 240V in there
somewhere. It could also mean switched and unswitched 120V.

You are correct. But I stand by my statement - 220 is NO SURPRISE if
you have both a red and a black wire.

There, we certainly agree.

--
Regards,