Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
[email protected] alvinamorey@notmail.com is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:24:14 GMT, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:42:26 GMT, wrote:
I forgot to mention. When putting an outlet for a sump pump or other
dedicated circuit with a smaller motor, ALWAYS use a 15A breaker. If
that pump siezes or gets stuck from debris in the impeller, you want
that breaker to blow before the motor goes up in smoke.

Just to clarify, you can certainly use a 15 Amp (or even smaller breaker) if
you wish but the motor will likely start up better on #12 conductors than on #14
because there will be less voltage drop and therefore more starting current
available. Further, the motor should really have its own protection.

Vaughn

I agree to a limited degree. By "limited" I mean it depends on the
distance from the source (breaker box). If the sump pump is 10 ft.
from the box, it really dont matter. If it's 100 ft. it will.
Being on a DEDICATED circuit means it DOES have it's own protection.
Actually, the house I used to live in, I had a sump pump. I put a
single handybox above it and bought one of those cover plates that
consist of a switch and fuse holder on one piece. That supplied the
single outlet for the pump. I would put 10A fuses in it. (they are
probably hard to find these days).

A large motor is another matter. Use large wire for anything over 3/4
HP. Of course many of those are 220V.