Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Jim[_2_] Jim[_2_] is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 23, 8:22 pm, "Mike Payne" wrote:
I guess it's my job to disagree with most of the other posters. 15A
circuits let you work with 14 gauge wire. It is orders of magnitude
easier
to wire outlets and lights with 14 rather than 12.

Do you understand what an order of magnitude is?

Musta went to public school...

An order of
magnitude is a factor of 10. Two orders of magnitude is 100X. So,
you're telling us it's at least 100 times more difficult to run 12
gauge than 14? A job that would take an hour, now takes 100
hours?

I use 12 only for
workshops and kitchens where they might actually be needed. Most
radios,
TV's , and computers use less power today than even a decade ago. When
was
the last time you tripped a 15 A circuit breaker by overloading it?

mike

"mdb" wrote in message

newsWxJi.584$9r4.364@trnddc04...

I'm renovating my basement and have a pretty fundamental question about
the romex cable I'll be running throughout the space for lights and
wall
jacks. I'm having my old Federal Pacific breaker panel (150 amps)
replaced
with a new Cutler Hammer 200 amp box. Have hired an electrician to do
that
work for me. But I wondered why I'd bother with 15 amp circuits (14-2
romex). Is there a reason not to simply make all three of the circuits
I'll be creating for the new basement 20 amp circuits, using 12-2
romex?
Or is there a fire/shock hazard caused by using the higher amperage
circuit breakers on those standard circuits.

Also, does on GFI protect the entire circuit on which it is located or
do
I need to install more? My basement, like so many, sometimes gets wet
when
the outside drains are blocked.- Hide quoted text -