Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

According to Pete C. :
Chris Friesen wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Doing that will also put the two outlets on opposite poles / phases,
giving 240V between the upper and lower hot connections. I'm not sure
how that works with the ratings of the break off tabs on a duplex
receptacle. At any rate a hinky solution at best.

No, this is not a hinky solution. It's called a splitwire or multiwire
circuit, and has been the standard for kitchen counter receptacles in
Canada for decades.

I'm sure the world will get right on adopting those superior Canadian
electrical standards...

CSA is superior to UL... There's quite a bit of cross-pollination
between the two standards.

The US _used_ to have multi-wire kitchen counter outlets.

Having 30A worth of 120V at every counter receptacle is better than
20A.

However, now that we're going to requiring GFCIs for kitchen counter
outlets, split-wire GFCI outlets are non-existant, and double GFCI
breakers very expensive, we're switching to the US 20A GFCI standard.
But split-wire kitchen counter outlets are sitll perfectly
legal if you don't mind paying for double GFCI breakers.
--
Chris Lewis,