Bob Chilcoat

Default Emco v-10 Chuck HELP!! :)

My V-10p had a flanged spindle with three bolts holding the backing plate to
it. IIRC there was a short tapered extension on the flange that centered
the backing plate. To change the chuck, you removed the three bolts (there
was just clearance between the headstock and the flange for an open-end
wrench). The chuck and backing plate then just dropped off as a unit. I
haven't had that machine for over 20 years (wish I did, it was a nice
machine) so I'm writing this from memory and CRS set in years ago. On my
machine both the 3-jaw and 4-jaw had their own backing plates.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Tom the Tinkerer says...

Hi, Short time lurker, Horologist in training in need of a little help

I purchased an emco v-10p at the end of last year, and after a few minor
problems proceded to train up in its use, starting with the milling head,
and im now getting more into the lathe side of things...

I have a 3-jaw 5" chuck (fitted with external jaws) and a 4 jaw

independent
and self-centering 6/7" chuck BUT, cannot remove the backplate for the 3

jaw
to use the 4 jaw.. I wouldnt have a problem with this except that i have

set my tools up strangely to reach into the "Cup" of the chuck.

Pretty much what i would like some help with is either a) how to remove

the
backplate, without stuffing the spindle.. theres a couple of holes on the
geared end of the spindle that i tried holding a 1/8th" rod in while

turning
the backplate as much as possible (not much to grip) (yes the locking

bolt
on the backplate has been undone)

2nd option for the moment is trying to obtain a 2nd set of jaws (internal
stepped) for the 3 jaw chuck, which would be nice regardless... the jaw
width is approximately 3/4" wide, (left my remotely accurate measurey

tools
at work)

All advice graciously accepted

Some of the new asian lathes have the backplate as an integral
part of the spindle - are you sure that this is no the case on
the Emco? You mention that the 'locking bolt' has been undone
which imples the backplate really is separate - but exactly
what does the end of the spindle look like, do you think,
is it threaded, tapered, etc?

Jim

please reply to: