Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] brucedpaige@gmail.com is offline

Default Pet Food, Toothpaste, Lead Paint, and now....

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:29:50 -0700, Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Sep 22, 1:02 am, cavelamb himself wrote:
wrote:

I don't know if I believe all that, Bruce.

They (especially Wall Mart) used to carry better quality stuff.

THAT'S how they got to be a 900 pound gorilla.
By providing a VALUE for the buck spent.

But in the last couple of years the quality of _everything_ in the
store has taken a dive.

I wear Rustler jeans. Have for 12 or 13 years.
They are comfortable, fit well, last for several years, and they are not
expensive (actually quite Inexpensive).

And this is pretty much a Wall Mart one source product now.
(anybody knows another store that carries them, speak up!)

My waist is 34 inches. Has been for the last 12 or 13 years.

I buy 36 waist x 34 inseam, wash them and they fit perfectly.

I bought a batch (7 pair) recently. The FIRST wash shrunk them too
small to close. 2 inches short of closing. (and I got a tape out
and checked my waist! 34-1/2"

So I took them back and after making a public fuss exchanged them for
38 x 34. Washed (one pair) once these ae TIGHT - but close.
NOT comfortable.

Tomorrow I'll exchange these for 40 x 34 's
And see how they shrink down.

This is a product that I have a doze years experience with.
It has been stable as a rock - until now.

FWIW,

Richard- Hide quoted text -

Same experience....the jean manufacturer has cheapened them...Walmart
is still charging the same.

The customer is not supposed to notice.

TMT

I hate to say it but goods aren't marketed at a price based on their
cost. Goods are sold based on what people will pay for them.

I once participated in a marketing study where we changed the selling
price of a 5 H.P. outboard motor (this was when 5 HP was the most
common size for fishing boat motors). We discovered that customers
have a perceived value for goods and that an item can be priced too
low as well as too high. In fact the ratio of price to numbers sold
approaches a bell curve.

In this case, of course, we then priced the motors at the top of the
bell curve.

Of course, it is possible, and happens, perhaps not frequently, where
goods are procured at a cost that makes it impossible to sell them at
the perceived value price and then the Buyers get fired.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)