Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pet Food, Toothpaste, Lead Paint, and now....

wrote:

Walmart is simply doing what a vast number of Americans want - selling
a low quality item for a cheap price. If they weren't doing exactly
that then they wouldn't be a uccess.

You don't get to be a 900 lb. gorilla by selling a product that the
public doesn't want at a price higher then he is willing to pay.

All over the world there are companies selling quality albeit at a
higher price then Walmart. Rolex Watch comes to mind - a really well
made watch for a substantial price. I don't believe that Walmart has
harmed their business at all. Mercedes, Gucci, I could go on and on,
but quality merchandize is there if one wants to buy it.

There is an old saying in Asia, "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys".
The same can be applied to merchandize, "you buy cheap, you get
cheap".

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

I don't know if I believe all that, Bruce.

They (especially Wall Mart) used to carry better quality stuff.

THAT'S how they got to be a 900 pound gorilla.
By providing a VALUE for the buck spent.

But in the last couple of years the quality of _everything_ in the
store has taken a dive.

I wear Rustler jeans. Have for 12 or 13 years.
They are comfortable, fit well, last for several years, and they are not
expensive (actually quite Inexpensive).

And this is pretty much a Wall Mart one source product now.
(anybody knows another store that carries them, speak up!)

My waist is 34 inches. Has been for the last 12 or 13 years.

I buy 36 waist x 34 inseam, wash them and they fit perfectly.

I bought a batch (7 pair) recently. The FIRST wash shrunk them too
small to close. 2 inches short of closing. (and I got a tape out
and checked my waist! 34-1/2"

So I took them back and after making a public fuss exchanged them for
38 x 34. Washed (one pair) once these ae TIGHT - but close.
NOT comfortable.

Tomorrow I'll exchange these for 40 x 34 's
And see how they shrink down.

This is a product that I have a doze years experience with.
It has been stable as a rock - until now.

FWIW,

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 01:02:14 -0500, cavelamb himself

[...]

You pretty much make my point for me. You buy Walmart. You discovered
that quality had dropped - your pants shrunk. Do you go to another,
perhaps higher priced supplier like Levis, for instance? Nope you go
back to Walmart and but a larger size of jeans so when they shrink
they will still fit.

In short you accept the product Walmart offers -- as millions of other
people do.

There is nothing wrong with either you or Walmart. You are getting
jeans that satisfy you (finally) and Walmart is selling jeans at a
profit and at a low price.

And that is exactly where Walmart wants to position themselves as
purveyor to the masses. I can go and buy my Rolex watch and they don;t
care because for every Rolex Walmart will sell a thousand Hong Kong
specials.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 22, 1:02 am, cavelamb himself wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Richard- Hide quoted text -

Same experience....the jean manufacturer has cheapened them...Walmart
is still charging the same.

The customer is not supposed to notice.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

This is a product that I have a doze years experience with.
It has been stable as a rock - until now.

FWIW,

Richard- Hide quoted text -

Same experience....the jean manufacturer has cheapened them...Walmart
is still charging the same.

The customer is not supposed to notice.

TMT

Did some net research on this one.

Wal Mart version is made in Mexico using Mexicam made fabric.
(and there I was thinking China again)

The same product sold at Target is made in the Philippines using US made
fabric.

The Target jeans cost $1 more.

BTW, I managed to RETURN all of the WalMart jeans. Not an easy task -
except that I used my Visa Card to purchase them.

A threat of a fraud claim (for selling defective products) via VISA and
suddenly they couldn't pay me off quick enough...

Go figure...

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I hate to say it but goods aren't marketed at a price based on their
cost. Goods are sold based on what people will pay for them.

I once participated in a marketing study where we changed the selling
price of a 5 H.P. outboard motor (this was when 5 HP was the most
common size for fishing boat motors). We discovered that customers
have a perceived value for goods and that an item can be priced too
low as well as too high. In fact the ratio of price to numbers sold
approaches a bell curve.

In this case, of course, we then priced the motors at the top of the
bell curve.

Of course, it is possible, and happens, perhaps not frequently, where
goods are procured at a cost that makes it impossible to sell them at
the perceived value price and then the Buyers get fired.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)