Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Matt Whiting Matt Whiting is offline

Default Attaching deck ledger to concrete foundation wall

Dave wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building a PT deck attached to my house and have a question about
attaching the deck ledger board. Most everything I have read talks
about connecting it to wood, not concrete.

Here's what I was thinking of doing. All my joists are going to be
2x8, so I was going to use 2x10 for the ledger board. I am going to
run 2 lapping strips of Grace Vycor ledger/flashing (it is like ice/
water shield, only 9" wide) under the siding and ledger board. Then I
am going to drill into the concrete and use 1/2"x5.5" RedHead wedge
(hot dipped galvanized) anchors--2 of them in every other joist bay
(16" OC). Next I was going to use vinyl deck ledger flashing since I
have heard that aluminum won't last well with the PT.

I want to do this right and have it last...am I on the right track?

For longevity, I would use true stainless steel not galvanized hardware.
That includes the entire subfloor, not just the ledger board. After
assembly, let all the PT dry out for a few months. Then, apply a water
seal. Don't be afraid to use some silicon caulk if you see small areas not
sealing right. Functional and ugly beat purty and dysfunctional everytime.
Dave

I would use silicone caulk. I don't think I've ever seen silicon caulk.
:-)

Matt