Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
[email protected] beerguzzler50@yahoo.com is offline

Default Attaching deck ledger to concrete foundation wall

On Sep 24, 8:27 pm, "H.Bunker" wrote:
wrote:
I am building a PT deck attached to my house and have a question about
attaching the deck ledger board. Most everything I have read talks
about connecting it to wood, not concrete.

Here's what I was thinking of doing. All my joists are going to be
2x8, so I was going to use 2x10 for the ledger board. I am going to
run 2 lapping strips of Grace Vycor ledger/flashing (it is like ice/
water shield, only 9" wide) under the siding and ledger board. Then I
am going to drill into the concrete and use 1/2"x5.5" RedHead wedge
(hot dipped galvanized) anchors--2 of them in every other joist bay
(16" OC). Next I was going to use vinyl deck ledger flashing since I
have heard that aluminum won't last well with the PT.

I want to do this right and have it last...am I on the right track?

Why attach the deck in the first place?

Also, since you're not supposed to use galvanized nails with the PT put
out now. I don't believe it would be wise to depend on anything
galvanized, especially a supporting end.

I think you aren't supposed to use regular galvanized...but hot dipped
is supposed to be OK. Lots of deck are being done with them and it is
acceptable by code. Most all joist hangars and corner pieces are Hot
galv too.

I am already past the point of attaching since my concrete work is
already done.