Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

In article , "Pete C." wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Pete C."

wrote:

Doing that will also put the two outlets on opposite poles / phases,
giving 240V between the upper and lower hot connections.

So?

I'm not sure
how that works with the ratings of the break off tabs on a duplex
receptacle. At any rate a hinky solution at best.

You're not sure how it works, but you're sure it's a "hinky solution." :-)

Actually, it's a perfectly fine solution.

It's hinky in my book, and I wouldn't wire it that way.

Fine, don't wire it that way -- but don't tell others it's a bad solution,
just because you don't like/understand it.

The truly correct solution is to just install more circuits in locations
that need them. Basically instead of the all too common situation of
every receptacle in a room being on a single 15A or 20A they should be
individual circuits or at least two circuits alternated so any given
location is within reach of both circuits.

How is having two circuits available at alternating receptacles any
improvement over having two circuits available at *every* receptacle?

It avoids having 240V on a device where most people expect only 120V.

So how, exactly, is that an issue? You can't plug a *single* device into both
sockets of a duplex receptacle at once. Each socket has only 120V; that there
is a 240V potential between the two hots is of no relevance whatever.

I'm fine with cycling through poles / phases box to box, but I don't
like it within a single box in a residential application where joe bozo
might mess with it. People blow things up with some regularity in
industrial environments with three phase "wild leg" delta service, and
in an industrial environment they're supposed to have a clue. Give joe
bozo homeowner an unexpected red wire in the box and he's likely to blow
stuff up too. I think it's an unnecessary risk in a residential
environment.

I'd love to hear your explanation of how this will "blow stuff up."

--
Regards,