Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

Chris Friesen wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Doing that will also put the two outlets on opposite poles / phases,
giving 240V between the upper and lower hot connections. I'm not sure
how that works with the ratings of the break off tabs on a duplex
receptacle. At any rate a hinky solution at best.

No, this is not a hinky solution. It's called a splitwire or multiwire
circuit, and has been the standard for kitchen counter receptacles in
Canada for decades.

I'm sure the world will get right on adopting those superior Canadian
electrical standards...

My kitchen has I believe four separate 20A circuits in it, and it was
that way when I got here. I did have to replace the Federal Pacific
Stab-Loc main panel incendiary device with a proper Square D QO panel
however.

The truly correct solution is to just install more circuits in locations
that need them. Basically instead of the all too common situation of
every receptacle in a room being on a single 15A or 20A they should be
individual circuits or at least two circuits alternated so any given
location is within reach of both circuits.

Having every receptacle on its own circuit is ridiculous overkill. Even
having two circuits per room is overkill for many rooms. That said,
there are some rooms (kitchens, home theaters, home workshops) that
would benefit from more circuits, and just about any room would benefit
from more receptacles.

My shop is wired with a "quad" every 6', with a "quad" being a 4" square
box containing a 20A GFCI duplex receptacle paired with a 20A regular
duplex receptacle. Every "quad" is an separate circuit. All wiring is in
surface mounted conduit for ease of additions / changes. 240V
receptacles are located where needed. The walls are type X fire code
sheetrock. I'm pretty happy with it for a home shop.