Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Liam Greenwood Liam Greenwood is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:53:10 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
"Duane C. Johnson" wrote:

4. Don't use the simple push in terminals on the
receptacles, use the old fashion screw terminals.
The contact resistance is lower, I have measured
this. OK, they do pass the UL code, but lower
resistance has to be better.

Second this, *do not* use the "push wire" type connections, they are the
ones with the little release slots next to the holes. Do not however
confuse "push wire" with "back wire" as they are not the same thing.
With the better spec grade devices you will find many offer the "back
wire" option which is a screw clamp type connection that works well and

OK, now I am confused. I recently did a basement (15 amp for the
lighting circuits, and 20 amp for the power outlets). I fought for
a while with the receptacles that need the 'hook' on the end of the
wire to go around the screw. With the 12 gauge wire I was spending
an inordinate amount of time swearing at the wire not doing as needed.
So I instead used the wee hole on the back of the receptacle - I stripped
the end of the wire, pushed it in the hole and then screwed it down
with a screw from the side. Is that what you are calling the "back
wire"?

Cheers, Liam