Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Camilo Ramos Camilo Ramos is offline

Default Too late the motor is toast :(. Need hints on new motor

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:58:24 +0000, William Noble wrote:

there is a very good chance that replacing the capacitor will get the motor
working again - unless you can see that the windings are fried, presuming it
was a run capacitor. if it was a start capacitor, then the cause was the
centrifugal switch contacts welding, and you then could have destroyed the
windings and the capacitor - in that case, if you want to use the motor
still, disconnect the damaged winding, and with the belt loose, spin the
motor by hand and apply power while it is turning, so the technique is
spin/switch on.

I have a bench grinder like that. It's capacitor died (I think) and I pull
start it. I'll take the motor apart hoping I can test what is salvageable.
BTW, when you say the centrifugal switch contacts welding, you mean by
arcing?

Regards,

Camilo Ramos