Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

mdb wrote:

I'm renovating my basement and have a pretty fundamental question about the
romex cable I'll be running throughout the space for lights and wall jacks.
I'm having my old Federal Pacific breaker panel (150 amps) replaced with a
new Cutler Hammer 200 amp box. Have hired an electrician to do that work for
me. But I wondered why I'd bother with 15 amp circuits (14-2 romex). Is
there a reason not to simply make all three of the circuits I'll be creating
for the new basement 20 amp circuits, using 12-2 romex? Or is there a
fire/shock hazard caused by using the higher amperage circuit breakers on
those standard circuits.

Also, does on GFI protect the entire circuit on which it is located or do I
need to install more? My basement, like so many, sometimes gets wet when the
outside drains are blocked.

Cutlet Hammer isn't my favorite brand, but it's certainly better than
FP. As for 15 Amp circuits, while it theoretically saves you a couple
dollars worth of copper, I wouldn't consider it worthwhile. 15 and 20 A
circuit breakers cost the same as do all the other devices you'll be
using so only the wire would be different.

A GFCI circuit breaker will provide protection for everything connected
to it. A GFCI receptacle will provide protection for everything
connected downstream of it as well as what's plugged into it. A GFCI
circuit breaker costs about 5X the price of a GFCI receptacle while
providing the same protection. Generally it's best to simply insure that
the first device on a given circuit is a GFCI receptacle.