Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

"mdb" wrote in message
newsWxJi.584$9r4.364@trnddc04...
I'm renovating my basement and have a pretty fundamental question about
the romex cable I'll be running throughout the space for lights and wall
jacks. I'm having my old Federal Pacific breaker panel (150 amps) replaced
with a new Cutler Hammer 200 amp box. Have hired an electrician to do that
work for me. But I wondered why I'd bother with 15 amp circuits (14-2
romex). Is there a reason not to simply make all three of the circuits
I'll be creating for the new basement 20 amp circuits, using 12-2 romex?
Or is there a fire/shock hazard caused by using the higher amperage
circuit breakers on those standard circuits.

Also, does on GFI protect the entire circuit on which it is located or do
I need to install more? My basement, like so many, sometimes gets wet when
the outside drains are blocked.

Wire costs a bit more, and its a bit harder to work with, but there is no
downside other than that. I haven't used #14 in years. It has the added
benefit of reducing voltage drop a little.

Properly installed, GFCIs protect the entire circuit.