Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Turning Rulon

Tim Wescott wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

I turned some Rulon today to make some bearings. Nice stuff,
although you
really have to keep the cutoff tool close to the chuck.

Where did you get it from? What sort of stuff are you making?

It has been recommended as the best seal material for Stirling
engines, which I've been wanting to do some work on, so I've been
keeping my eye open for info on the stuff.

I have machined a fair bit of plain Teflon, however.

Small Parts, Inc., where it costs $$ (but this is a small part of a
commercial machine, so it's OK).

We're using it for a sliding bearing.

Thanks, didn't know they carried it. I'd be using it in small
quantites, too, to make piston rings and rod seals for a
Stirling engine. I'm planning on making a larger, high-temp
Stirling engine, and need some durable seals that can run dry.
Rulon was one of the most widely recommended materials. Now, I
see there are a bunch of different formulas available.

Jon