Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Turning Rulon

I turned some Rulon today to make some bearings. Nice stuff, although you
really have to keep the cutoff tool close to the chuck.

All that Saint-Gobain says about turning it is that the tools need to be
sharp sharp sharp and the lathe needs to be clean clean clean. I'm more
wondering if there is a tool set up that's best or if a tool that's good
for aluminum will be good for Rulon, and if there's anything special I
need to do to put a good finish on one (other than using my own damn
tools, or borrowing the shop of someone who actually has a round-nose
finishing tool).

Thanks in advance.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I turned some Rulon today to make some bearings. Nice stuff, although you
really have to keep the cutoff tool close to the chuck.

All that Saint-Gobain says about turning it is that the tools need to be
sharp sharp sharp and the lathe needs to be clean clean clean. I'm more
wondering if there is a tool set up that's best or if a tool that's good
for aluminum will be good for Rulon, and if there's anything special I
need to do to put a good finish on one (other than using my own damn
tools, or borrowing the shop of someone who actually has a round-nose
finishing tool).

Thanks in advance.

--
Tim Wescott

Nothing much to say about the tooling other than the "sharp, sharp, sharp"
thing is deadnuts accurate.

However, WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!!!!!!

The fumes are bad, both for short- and long-term exposures.

Short-term can cause BAD headaches, nausea, burning eyes and a nose that
only Rudolfs mom would love.

Long-term can cause a couple kinds of cancers and other never-get-overs.

Luck

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:23:53 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

I turned some Rulon today to make some bearings. Nice stuff, although you
really have to keep the cutoff tool close to the chuck.

All that Saint-Gobain says about turning it is that the tools need to be
sharp sharp sharp and the lathe needs to be clean clean clean. I'm more
wondering if there is a tool set up that's best or if a tool that's good
for aluminum will be good for Rulon, and if there's anything special I
need to do to put a good finish on one (other than using my own damn
tools, or borrowing the shop of someone who actually has a round-nose
finishing tool).

Thanks in advance.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I am in Saint Gobain in California almost daily and can tell you ,all
tooling is custom ground ( high speed steel)
There are very few inserts used if any.
If you need me to ask any question or need an email of a machine shop
supervisor let me know.

Regards
Daveb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Davenport's wrote:
I turned some Rulon today to make some bearings. Nice stuff, although you
really have to keep the cutoff tool close to the chuck.

Tim Wescott

Nothing much to say about the tooling other than the "sharp, sharp, sharp"
thing is deadnuts accurate.

However, WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!!!!!!

The fumes are bad, both for short- and long-term exposures.

Short-term can cause BAD headaches, nausea, burning eyes and a nose that
only Rudolfs mom would love.

Long-term can cause a couple kinds of cancers and other never-get-overs.

Huh? This stuff is Teflon and rust, as far as I know. Unless
you are really going at it in high speed production, you
shouldn't be heating it anywhere near the decomposition
temperature of Teflon, which is 450 C. Rust doesn't sound that
poisonous, although the dust might be nasty.

Is there something else in there?

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
I turned some Rulon today to make some bearings. Nice stuff, although you
really have to keep the cutoff tool close to the chuck.

Where did you get it from? What sort of stuff are you making?

It has been recommended as the best seal material for Stirling
engines, which I've been wanting to do some work on, so I've
been keeping my eye open for info on the stuff.

I have machined a fair bit of plain Teflon, however.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:00:40 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

The Davenport's wrote:
[...]

I watch pure teflon being compression molded all day and the only
thing that is dangerous is ingesting the raw material , no one wears
any protective devices.

After the material is molded it goes into the oven at 500 deg. or so
for about 4-6 hrs......I will pay more attention tomorrow.

My customer makes about every type plastic known and I have never
heard of anyone getting sick or any long term effects.

I usally spend 20-30 hours a week there doing plc and special machine
design as well as the repairs of the cnc equipment.

One side effect of teflon is the "Teflon Flu" which is not nice and
takes a few days to get over.

I will check out the rulon in the morning.

Regards

Daveb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
I turned some Rulon today to make some bearings. Nice stuff, although
you
really have to keep the cutoff tool close to the chuck.

Where did you get it from? What sort of stuff are you making?

It has been recommended as the best seal material for Stirling engines,
which I've been wanting to do some work on, so I've been keeping my eye
open for info on the stuff.

I have machined a fair bit of plain Teflon, however.

Small Parts, Inc., where it costs $$ (but this is a small part of a
commercial machine, so it's OK).

We're using it for a sliding bearing.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The Davenport's wrote:
[...]

I watched it being made today.....no rust, however some Rulon has
bronze in it. This makes sense for a bearing surface.

This product is only made by Saint Gobain and there are quite a few
variations of it.

There is no danger associated with this material except when it's
heated like you say and then only minor complications.

If you need any specific information about Rulon let me know.

Regards

Regards
Daveb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Turning Rulon...Sorry...being too flip

[...]

Sorry...I was being a little flip as to the long term effects...shouldn't
have done it, but I did...sorry.

The short term effects, however, I'l stand by what I said.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's a hansom offer. I appreciate it and I'll take you up on it if I
need to.

At the moment what I've learned here, and the fact that our application
isn't terribly critical, should let us be effective with the stuff for the
time being.

After all, if a systems engineer whose only an amateur machinist can do a
good enough job with it, how challenging can the job be?

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

I turned some Rulon today to make some bearings. Nice stuff,
although you
really have to keep the cutoff tool close to the chuck.

Where did you get it from? What sort of stuff are you making?

It has been recommended as the best seal material for Stirling
engines, which I've been wanting to do some work on, so I've been
keeping my eye open for info on the stuff.

I have machined a fair bit of plain Teflon, however.

Small Parts, Inc., where it costs $$ (but this is a small part of a
commercial machine, so it's OK).

We're using it for a sliding bearing.

Thanks, didn't know they carried it. I'd be using it in small
quantites, too, to make piston rings and rod seals for a
Stirling engine. I'm planning on making a larger, high-temp
Stirling engine, and need some durable seals that can run dry.
Rulon was one of the most widely recommended materials. Now, I
see there are a bunch of different formulas available.

Jon

Pen Turning Mark Russell Woodturning 9 April 19th 06 12:31 PM
New to turning John \(NC\) Woodturning 2 January 16th 06 02:01 PM
cpu fan is turning , but the BIOS display that it is not turning ( MSI motherboard) computer Electronics Repair 3 December 23rd 05 10:38 PM
What is turning? Mark Hancock Woodturning 19 May 5th 05 03:38 AM
I'm done turning for a while william kossack Woodturning 29 March 23rd 04 04:16 AM