Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Pet Food, Toothpaste, Lead Paint, and now....

wrote:

Walmart is simply doing what a vast number of Americans want - selling
a low quality item for a cheap price. If they weren't doing exactly
that then they wouldn't be a uccess.

You don't get to be a 900 lb. gorilla by selling a product that the
public doesn't want at a price higher then he is willing to pay.

All over the world there are companies selling quality albeit at a
higher price then Walmart. Rolex Watch comes to mind - a really well
made watch for a substantial price. I don't believe that Walmart has
harmed their business at all. Mercedes, Gucci, I could go on and on,
but quality merchandize is there if one wants to buy it.

There is an old saying in Asia, "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys".
The same can be applied to merchandize, "you buy cheap, you get
cheap".

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

I don't know if I believe all that, Bruce.

They (especially Wall Mart) used to carry better quality stuff.

THAT'S how they got to be a 900 pound gorilla.
By providing a VALUE for the buck spent.

But in the last couple of years the quality of _everything_ in the
store has taken a dive.

I wear Rustler jeans. Have for 12 or 13 years.
They are comfortable, fit well, last for several years, and they are not
expensive (actually quite Inexpensive).

And this is pretty much a Wall Mart one source product now.
(anybody knows another store that carries them, speak up!)

My waist is 34 inches. Has been for the last 12 or 13 years.

I buy 36 waist x 34 inseam, wash them and they fit perfectly.

I bought a batch (7 pair) recently. The FIRST wash shrunk them too
small to close. 2 inches short of closing. (and I got a tape out
and checked my waist! 34-1/2"

So I took them back and after making a public fuss exchanged them for
38 x 34. Washed (one pair) once these ae TIGHT - but close.
NOT comfortable.

Tomorrow I'll exchange these for 40 x 34 's
And see how they shrink down.

This is a product that I have a doze years experience with.
It has been stable as a rock - until now.

FWIW,

Richard