Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Boeing and metrcication question

Yea - liter Coke, three liter of Coke and all of that non SI but metric stuff.
Booze is also in Liters not 1/5's of a Gallon.

What kicks me - the U.S.A. teaspoon volume value does not equal that of
Canada's. Different sizes of spoons :-)

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Mark Rand wrote:
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 04:24:14 -0700, wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
In a free market, many more products in the supermarket
would be labeled just in liters and grams.
Not if they wanted to sell them.
I do not understand the grammar of that response. The FPLA forbids
Proctor and Gamble from selling metric-only products.

we'll finish converting to metrics, but not until it pays to do so.
Your analysis is one of the best I have seen but it omits the legal
barriers to metrication. Voluntary conversion is forbidden by law.
Companies like Proctor and Gamble want to offer metric-only products
right now. But the FPLA and other laws make metric-only products
illegal in the US.

I assume that there is no problem at all with selling 1kg of sugar that is
also labeled as 2lb 3 1/4oz etc. That gets the punter used to the size of
metric quantities and makes the change to metric only labeling less
traumatic.Doesn't have to be instantaneous. 40 years is probably not
unreasonable to let people grow up with the ideas, and it's already happening.

Sugar is usually sold in multiples of 5 pounds so they would have to
buy three tiny bags if they do it your way.

A lot of stuff sold in the US already has the metric equivalent marked
after the pounds, ounces or fluid ounces.