Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Quick unlocking of compound base on lathe

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:03:40 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

I hadn't thought of your design being useful as a sort of universal mounting
plate, and that's a neat idea.

I procrastinated making my 4-bolt plate too, and one of the other reasons
that made it seem definite was that the T-slots of the cross table aren't
very strong, and using 4 T-nuts was a much better mounting solution.

I hadn't heard about the 2 different sized belts, but I'd most likely get
one locally instead of ordering it from one of the lathe distributors.
I had read of the belts rolling over and causing other problems. Mine didn't
cause those problems, and the original is still on the lathe.
I did notice that the tensioning lever needed some attention, while I was
setting up the machine though. The pivot point was really sloppy where it
passed thru the plate, and I added a shim washer there, and bought a new
retaining snap-ring of better quality.

Somewhere in one of the Dropbox archives, there is the threading chart for
the 9x20 lathes, but I didn't find it right now. Someone on the Yahoo group
had come up with a chart that shows a lot of thread pitches that are
possible on the 9x20 which aren't shown in the user manuals, including the
metric spindle thread on most models (except the Jet brand, which don't use
a metric thread, I guess).

WB

I've found/saved several thread charts already. If you
need/want one I'll gladly squirt them off in your direction.

On Bedair's website he makes mention of cutting down one of
the larger gears shoulder so that the cir-clip can hold it
in place. Otherwise it is too thick. I think that is the
gear you need for turning the thread on the spindle nose.
Pretty sure that is mentioned on the page where he makes a
backing plate for a new 3-jaw chuck. Here it is, see:

http://bedair.org/Chuck/Chuck2.html

He has one of the thread charts too:

http://bedair.org/Shifter/Thread.html

I asked Steve about the different belt sizes and he didn't
know why either (he has a DC motor now). My idea about
different motors being used was as good as any. Take a look
at this page and then you will know about as much as I do
about it:

http://bedair.org/Shifter/Belt.html

Mine is brand new (Harbor Freight 9x20) and has never been
run yet. The belt measures 705mm in length (I checked it
several times . It is as tight as I think it should be
WITHOUT the tension being drawn down on it.

I've read some stuff about other people having trouble with
the tension pulley too. One guy ruined several belts before
he figured out the tension pulley wasn't lining up right
(yipes!). I'll remember to check that area out good when I
get to that point.

I'll keep you in mind and let you know how it goes if I ever
get around to making one.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b