Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Mueller Nick Mueller is offline

Default Boeing and metrcication question

Wayne Lundberg wrote:

but massaged from prior art in HP, inch, pound... the
so called Newton is a joke in the real world. Try as I might, I can't
visualize applying a force to a one kilogram bowling ball to accelerate it
to a speed of one meter per second par second. But I can see a horse lift
550 lbs one ft. in one second. No problem there. I know I can do a 1/20 HP
for a second or two. Easy to see. Impossible to visualize that rolling
kilogram bowling ball... on what surface?

Man oh man! With your knowledge, it would be better for you to work as a
lumber jack!
Newton is force (lbf), not torque, torque is Nm (lbf x ft). Speed is
not "one meter per second par second" it's m/s (ft/s), ms^-2 is
acceleration(ft/s^2). HP is called kW in SI (and needs a factor to convert
to; about 0.745*) for HP). HP is not lbs x ft / s, but lbf x ft / s. Note
the difference?
And if you are so lame that you can make only 1/20 HP for a second or two,
you'd better not leave the bed.

*) But that would be too easy to multiply voltage by amperage to get the
input wattage of the motor. And maybe multiply it by its efficency. You
prefer converting it to HP first. *Much* easier. LOL!

And someone like you -who doesn't understand his own system- thinks he is in
the intellectual position to say that SI is ****?

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO: