Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel J.A. Michel is offline

Default Help! Help! Silicone caulk

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
news:4LiIi.4706$Ij2.3885@trndny06...
Went to Lowe's (I know, should have gone to a paint store) and asked for
caulk for my new (hardei plank) outside siding. They advised me to buy GE
"Window & Door" 100% Silicone Sealant. After having applied 5 tubes of
this stuff around all window trim, door trim, hardie plank edges etc.
etc., I find that paint does not stick to silicone. Did not know that!!!
I've painted the caulked seams 6 times already and the paint just retracts
from the silicone in about 5-10 seconds.

I can live with the above on all the vertical trim seams, but, on the butt
joints of the hardie plank, in the middle of the wall, the white blotches
look pretty ridiculous.

Any advise appreciated. You're welcome to call me a fool etc., but please
advise.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Sorry to hear that. You in trouble!!! The first mistake was using GE
caulk. The stuff is JUNK. I got suckered into using the same stuff, only
the GE caulk that I had was "paintable" silocone caulk. Yea, right. The
paint fish-eyed and looked like crap. I also tried the "white" version of
the same stuff. It turned clear when it dried. GE CAULK IS GARBAGE!!
AVOID IT AT ALL COST!!

Your best bet would have been to use pre-painted hardie plank with a
matching tri-polymer sealant. They have color-matched caulk avaliable for
the stock colors of hardie-plank.

If this mess were mine (and I'm glad it's not) I would remove the silicone
caulk, and paint. Hopefully the silocone has not contaminated a large area
that causes more fisheyes. After painting, I would then re-caulk with a
latex or tri-polymer color-matched caulk.

Good Luck!!