Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Determining pressure angle on gears

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:39:22 +0800, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:58:01 -0400, Wes wrote:

I'm trying to repair a DaeJung 560 lathe. It seems the importer walked away
from this critter a long time ago so I need to come up with the right gear
spec to fix it. There is a plastic gear in feed drivetrain that is designed
to be the sacrifical gear should a brain fart occur. Well at some point in
time a brain fart occured. (NOT ME)

the purpose of the plastic gear is interesting. surely a simple shear
pin would be easier to implement if brain fart protection was the aim.
I thought the plastic gear in a gear train was for noise attenuation.

the lathe I've been looking at recently has all steel gears and is a
hell of a lot noisier than my old belt drive hercus (south bend clone)
I think it needs a plastic gear in the train.

Stealth Pilot

Shear pins are too cheap and easy to replace with alternate strength
materials.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada