Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Determining pressure angle on gears

I'm trying to repair a DaeJung 560 lathe. It seems the importer walked away
from this critter a long time ago so I need to come up with the right gear
spec to fix it. There is a plastic gear in feed drivetrain that is designed
to be the sacrifical gear should a brain fart occur. Well at some point in
time a brain fart occured. (NOT ME)

I used a program to generate gear data from WM Berg
http://www.wmberg.com/Tools/

GearSpec is the program. (Thanks to Sam on a.m.c aka PrecisionMachinist)

It generated this data for 14.5 and 20.0 pressure angles. By juggling
module and DP values I think I have the gear narrowed down to these two
below.

http://wess.freeshell.org/usenet/rec...%20-v2_5_1.pdf
http://wess.freeshell.org/usenet/rec...%20-v2_5_1.pdf

The only real difference is base circle but that isn't some thing to measure
since I believe it is below the gear surface.

So are there any quick and dirty methods of estimating pressure angles?

And while I'm at it what kind of plastic should one use to make the gear if
I can't find a blank? The only thing I know about the gear is that the
plastic is blue.

Thanks,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The last time I was trying to match a pressure angle, I took the
offending gear, set it in my scanner, ran a high res scan of it, then
viewed the tooth close up. Compared the tooth profile to Machinery's
handbook, pretty obvious what I had.

If you really get stuck, you can download an evaluation copy of Feature Cam
http://www.featurecam.com/general/so...st_version.asp
It has a gear program buried in it, you can draw any gear you want and
print it out a 1:1 size picture. The eval version won't generate the
code or save it but you don't need those functions.

Wes wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

[...]

Get youself a Martin Gear catalog and plop down the gear on top of the
page with the two illustrated pressure angles.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:58:01 -0400, Wes wrote:

[...]

I found these folks real helpful. http://www.sdp-si.com/

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:58:01 -0400, Wes wrote:

I'm trying to repair a DaeJung 560 lathe. It seems the importer walked away
from this critter a long time ago so I need to come up with the right gear
spec to fix it. There is a plastic gear in feed drivetrain that is designed
to be the sacrifical gear should a brain fart occur. Well at some point in
time a brain fart occured. (NOT ME)

the purpose of the plastic gear is interesting. surely a simple shear
pin would be easier to implement if brain fart protection was the aim.
I thought the plastic gear in a gear train was for noise attenuation.

the lathe I've been looking at recently has all steel gears and is a
hell of a lot noisier than my old belt drive hercus (south bend clone)
I think it needs a plastic gear in the train.

Stealth Pilot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:39:22 +0800, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:58:01 -0400, Wes wrote:

I'm trying to repair a DaeJung 560 lathe. It seems the importer walked away
from this critter a long time ago so I need to come up with the right gear
spec to fix it. There is a plastic gear in feed drivetrain that is designed
to be the sacrifical gear should a brain fart occur. Well at some point in
time a brain fart occured. (NOT ME)

the purpose of the plastic gear is interesting. surely a simple shear
pin would be easier to implement if brain fart protection was the aim.
I thought the plastic gear in a gear train was for noise attenuation.

the lathe I've been looking at recently has all steel gears and is a
hell of a lot noisier than my old belt drive hercus (south bend clone)
I think it needs a plastic gear in the train.

Stealth Pilot

Shear pins are too cheap and easy to replace with alternate strength
materials.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada