Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,alt.fan.cecil-adams

Default Pet Food, Toothpaste, Lead Paint, and now....

Sevenhundred Elves wrote:

_____.___________________________________._____
|_____|___________________________________|_____| -- Beam
|| 0-- Fastener 0 ||
|| | | ||
|| | | ||
|| | | ||
|| | | ||
|| | | ||
|| |-- Chain | ||
|| | | ||
|| | | ||
|| | | ||
|| | _________________________________ | ||
|| |/ \| ||
|| | | ||
|| | | ||
|| | Backrest | ||
|| | | ||
|| | | ||
|| | _________________________________ | ||
|| |´ `| ||
|| | Seat | ||
|| |___________________________________| ||
|| ||
|| ||
|| ||
|| ||
\\// -- Grass \\//

But I believe you were thinking about something like what I've shown
below. In this type of hammock the force on the fasteners easily exceeds
the weight of the seat with occupants, because of the geometry, just
like you say.

| | | |
| | Fastener Chain | |
|___| / v |___|
|____}------,-----------------------------------,------{____|
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | |-- Chain | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | _________________________________ | | |
| | |/ \| | |
| | | | | |
| | | Backrest | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | _________________________________ | | |
| | |´ `| | |
| | | Seat | | |
| | |___________________________________| | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
\\||// \\|||//

This should neatly reconcile your different opinions, I hope.

S.

Those are called a 'Porch Swing', hung from the roof of a front porch
to sit and read, or to wait for the house to cool off after a long, hot
day. It was also where young people sat during a date, before movies
and other distractions.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell