Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry Andy Asberry is offline

Default Determining pressure angle on gears

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:58:01 -0400, Wes wrote:

I'm trying to repair a DaeJung 560 lathe. It seems the importer walked away
from this critter a long time ago so I need to come up with the right gear
spec to fix it. There is a plastic gear in feed drivetrain that is designed
to be the sacrifical gear should a brain fart occur. Well at some point in
time a brain fart occured. (NOT ME)

I used a program to generate gear data from WM Berg
http://www.wmberg.com/Tools/

GearSpec is the program. (Thanks to Sam on a.m.c aka PrecisionMachinist)

It generated this data for 14.5 and 20.0 pressure angles. By juggling
module and DP values I think I have the gear narrowed down to these two
below.

http://wess.freeshell.org/usenet/rec...%20-v2_5_1.pdf
http://wess.freeshell.org/usenet/rec...%20-v2_5_1.pdf

The only real difference is base circle but that isn't some thing to measure
since I believe it is below the gear surface.

So are there any quick and dirty methods of estimating pressure angles?

And while I'm at it what kind of plastic should one use to make the gear if
I can't find a blank? The only thing I know about the gear is that the
plastic is blue.

Thanks,

Wes

I found these folks real helpful. http://www.sdp-si.com/