Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] mail@atics.co.uk is offline

Default Dehumidifier: Compressor or Dessicant?

On 17 Sep, 16:52, wrote:
This one's a bit OT, but I'm hoping someone can help:

I'm buying a dehumidifier to help with a condensation problem in my 3
bed house. I've narrowed it down to the Amcor PLDM18 (seehttp://tinyurl.com/2pwbvp) or the Prem-I-Air PRDHZ80U (seehttp://tinyurl.com/2ooau4). The Amcor is based on normal compressor
technology, while the Prem-I-Air is based on a newer dessicant
technology. According to one of the companies I spoke to the Prem-I-
Air is probably going to be more effective for my purposes & has other
smaller advantages (eg quieter & lighter).

The company that recommended it did point out the possible downside
that it is a higher wattage (ie 620w vs 260w) but reckoned that it
could well work out at a similar cost in the long run, as it would be
on less. Is that likely?

Thanks,

Michael

Dear Michael
Have you considered the alternative control method avoiding the need
for desiccation? namely stopping the water coming in in the first
place? It may be that with appropriate trickle vents and life changes
you can avoid this purchase. If you cannot then I would go for the
compressor (non-desiccant) version but remember they only work if you
close all the windows and doors and heat the place - just the opposite
of what you want to control condensation!
Chris