Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Turning Rulon

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 03:05:38 +0000, DaveB wrote:

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:23:53 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

I turned some Rulon today to make some bearings. Nice stuff, although you
really have to keep the cutoff tool close to the chuck.

All that Saint-Gobain says about turning it is that the tools need to be
sharp sharp sharp and the lathe needs to be clean clean clean. I'm more
wondering if there is a tool set up that's best or if a tool that's good
for aluminum will be good for Rulon, and if there's anything special I
need to do to put a good finish on one (other than using my own damn
tools, or borrowing the shop of someone who actually has a round-nose
finishing tool).

Thanks in advance.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I am in Saint Gobain in California almost daily and can tell you ,all
tooling is custom ground ( high speed steel)
There are very few inserts used if any.
If you need me to ask any question or need an email of a machine shop
supervisor let me know.

Regards
Daveb

That's a hansom offer. I appreciate it and I'll take you up on it if I
need to.

At the moment what I've learned here, and the fact that our application
isn't terribly critical, should let us be effective with the stuff for the
time being.

After all, if a systems engineer whose only an amateur machinist can do a
good enough job with it, how challenging can the job be?

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com