Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland Louis Ohland is offline

Default Quick unlocking of compound base on lathe

Tony wrote:
I wish they made lathes that way with a lever locking compound, but i've
been happy with the Southbend solution which uses two hex set screws,
it's reasonable easy to access with a T handled hex tool.

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
I see that my lathe has a collar that fits over the base of the
compound. There are two nuts to tighten or loosen the collar, allowing
the compound to turn. Has anyone used a lever like on a mill table to
tighten the collar down?

After looking at the chin-glese schematics, it looks like the
compound sits on the surface of the saddle with the only thing holding
it down being the two nuts through the hold down collar. If the
schematics are close, those two shafts coming up from the T-slot nuts
are 8mm. Looks tempting to make new T-slot nuts with 1/4x24 threads and
a 90 degree handle. Take up most of the slack in the screw before
sliding the compound back on. Then a quarter turn on either handle to
lock the compound.