Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Dehumidifier or small air conditioning cooler ?

"N Cook" writes:

Label just says Wickes DE44GY
I'm not familiar with these
Someone wanted me to look at their "cooler" which had packed up.
The fan had worked loose, sorted out. Checking it out, the evaporator was
getting cold, and condensate forming into the collection system, but the
output seemed warmer than the input air. Putting a thermometer in the
airstreams it was 5 deg C warmer on the output than the input.
Have i just repaired a dehumidifier ?
What is the difference between AC unit and dehumidifier ?

On an AC, the room air goes through the evaporator ONLY and back
into the room. The condensor either is outside or vented to the
outside.

On a dehumidifier, the room air goes through the evaporator and
then the condensor (and probably over the compressor) and then
back into the room. So, the temperature will be slightly higher
than ambient, but with its humitiy in the collector.