Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dehumidifier or small air conditioning cooler ?

Label just says Wickes DE44GY
I'm not familiar with these
Someone wanted me to look at their "cooler" which had packed up.
The fan had worked loose, sorted out. Checking it out, the evaporator was
getting cold, and condensate forming into the collection system, but the
output seemed warmer than the input air. Putting a thermometer in the
airstreams it was 5 deg C warmer on the output than the input.
Have i just repaired a dehumidifier ?
What is the difference between AC unit and dehumidifier ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" writes:

Label just says Wickes DE44GY
I'm not familiar with these
Someone wanted me to look at their "cooler" which had packed up.
The fan had worked loose, sorted out. Checking it out, the evaporator was
getting cold, and condensate forming into the collection system, but the
output seemed warmer than the input air. Putting a thermometer in the
airstreams it was 5 deg C warmer on the output than the input.
Have i just repaired a dehumidifier ?
What is the difference between AC unit and dehumidifier ?

On an AC, the room air goes through the evaporator ONLY and back
into the room. The condensor either is outside or vented to the
outside.

On a dehumidifier, the room air goes through the evaporator and
then the condensor (and probably over the compressor) and then
back into the room. So, the temperature will be slightly higher
than ambient, but with its humitiy in the collector.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote in message
"N Cook" writes:

[...]

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above

is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included

in the

Thanks for that, all I could see was they both use the principle of
refrigeration.
So there can be no such thing as a portable air conditioner, IIUC, as you
need a closed environment in a car or a room, with the AC unit mounted on
the boundary of that sealed space or ducting/piping that defeats
portability.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" writes:

[...]

Right. You need a wormhole to dispose of the heat.

There are appliances called portable air conditioners but they have to have
a hose to the outside (or I suppose, water connection).