Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DaveB DaveB is offline

Default Turning Rulon

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:00:40 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

The Davenport's wrote:
I turned some Rulon today to make some bearings. Nice stuff, although you
really have to keep the cutoff tool close to the chuck.

Tim Wescott

Nothing much to say about the tooling other than the "sharp, sharp, sharp"
thing is deadnuts accurate.

However, WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!!!!!!

The fumes are bad, both for short- and long-term exposures.

Short-term can cause BAD headaches, nausea, burning eyes and a nose that
only Rudolfs mom would love.

Long-term can cause a couple kinds of cancers and other never-get-overs.

Huh? This stuff is Teflon and rust, as far as I know. Unless
you are really going at it in high speed production, you
shouldn't be heating it anywhere near the decomposition
temperature of Teflon, which is 450 C. Rust doesn't sound that
poisonous, although the dust might be nasty.

Is there something else in there?

Jon

I watch pure teflon being compression molded all day and the only
thing that is dangerous is ingesting the raw material , no one wears
any protective devices.

After the material is molded it goes into the oven at 500 deg. or so
for about 4-6 hrs......I will pay more attention tomorrow.

My customer makes about every type plastic known and I have never
heard of anyone getting sick or any long term effects.

I usally spend 20-30 hours a week there doing plc and special machine
design as well as the repairs of the cnc equipment.

One side effect of teflon is the "Teflon Flu" which is not nice and
takes a few days to get over.

I will check out the rulon in the morning.

Regards

Daveb