Bruce L. Bergman

Default About to start welding does this look safe?

On Fri, 07 May 2004 19:31:58 -0400, Michael Shaffer
wrote:

On the highest resolution setting:

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/p1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/p2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/p3.jpg

(And p2 is actually in focus - Shocking! ;-)

Congratulations! It's a baby I-T-E Pushmatic. I-T-E is currently
owned by Siemens and is still in limited production, though anything
you want is probably going to be special-order from warehouse stocks.
Breakers are still available, but they are getting expensive for
standard single-pole 15A and 20A sizes, and seriously expensive for
the 2-pole and larger sizes.

They do have duplex breakers available for the 15A and 20A sizes so
you can get a few more circuits in there, but it's well past due to
turn the house off for one day and swap the whole panel out.

Use a modern Crouse Hinds/Murray/Siemens or Cutler-Hammer/
Challenger panel, and replacement breakers will be $5 each instead of
$50. (Stay away from proprietary designs like Square-D or GE, in a
few years you'll be back in the same boat.)

Oh and don't worry, there's no way I'm touching any of that ****.

Calling a licensed electrician will be money well spent - plus,
you'll have room to remove that fused switch for the water heater on
the left, and give it a breaker. (Don't look at me, from that picture
I can tell you're nowhere near Los Angeles. We don't use SE Cable out
here, and basements are rare.)

Oh, and I hope there's a Main Disconnect (fused switch or circuit
breaker) out at the meter, cause there isn't one here... (You can get
away without a main, but only if there are six breaker poles/fuses or
less. That panel is a 14-28.)

-- Bruce --