Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Paint Pads

On 2007-09-16 10:30:32 +0100, Mike Clarke said:

It's many years since I tried paint pads, they were a new invention then and
I wasn't much impressed. You had to dilute the paint and the result was
thin and patchy. Is it still necessary to water the paint down or can you
use it as it comes from the can?

I used it from the can, poured into a tray - no dilution. This was
Farrow and Ball Estate Emulsion which they claim to be "traditional
paint". They also do a "modern emulsion". Whether this relates to
the formulation, I am not certain. The main focus of the product
information is that the Estate Emulsion has a very low sheen - i.e. a
very flat matt. The Modern Emulsion has a higher sheen - satin.

For some panels, I sprayed the paint. For that purpose, I diluted it
by 10% with water. That has worked satisfactorily as well.

Paint and possibly the pads have changed a lot since I first tried pads over
30 years ago. After reading the favourable comments here I'm tempted to
give them another try.

I was pleasantly suprised with the results.