Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint Pads

Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Sep, 10:04, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

I've used them in the past with good results. Easier to clean up than
a paint roller.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

My wife is the house painter, she won't let me do it because she's much,
much better at it than I am. She uses a selection of paint pads and does
an excellent job with them.

I think much depends on the quality of the pads.

OTOH, I do a much better job of varnishing that she does, and I prefer
to use foam brushes for the final coat since these end up leaving a
finish as good as a sprayed finish but without the hassle involved in
spraying.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

I used them for the first time a few months ago and was pleasantly
surprised. I found that I got a better finish than with a roller,
using less paint overall. I'll be using them again.

Incidentally, I found the cheap Wilko own brand ones to be better than
the more expensive (mohair?) ones.
--
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 09:04:35 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

Harder work than rollers, on new plaster especialy, but a smoother
finish. Also less splatter than rollers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

Sometimes, these days. I used to use them all the time when just
decorating a single room at home, but having graduated to doing whole
houses at a time I use a roller almost exclusively now.

Pros (versus a roller):
- Better finish - much smoother
- Can get closer to corners or edges than with a roller
- Use less paint (I think)
- less messy

Cons
- Significantly slower!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

Yes, I use them exclusively. They give a much better finish than rolling
or brushing, and are quicker to use. I treat them as disposable, so I
buy enough for the job and throw away at the end of each session.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

My wife uses them with very good results and when I use them it looks
more like a poor attempt at "modern art" all blotchy and uneven. There
again I'm great with a roller and she isn't, so it seems to be a case of
"horses for courses". Try them and see how you get on.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

Yes, I use them exclusively. They give a much better finish than rolling
or brushing, and are quicker to use. I treat them as disposable, so I
buy enough for the job and throw away at the end of each session.

A couple of people have mentioned pads are quicker - I just can't see
that at all. Speed of use is my only (but nevertheless overriding)
reason for preferring rollers.

What size pads and rollers are we talking about?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

Do the responses refer to using with gloss/eggshell finish paint on
woodwork, or just to emulsion paint on walls?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

The results are marvelous and superior to any technique except
possibly spraying water based on new plaster.

They do require a different technique which takes all of two minutes
to acquire. I prefer the tray with the roller ball in for paint

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:
I prefer the tray with the roller ball in for paint

Not seen these - where can you get them?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 16:10:02 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

EricP wrote:
I prefer the tray with the roller ball in for paint

Not seen these - where can you get them?

Haven't looked recently as I have a shed full of them, so I can't give
a decent answer. Sorry.

I just find they load much better than the dip and scrape on the edge
ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

EricP wrote:
I prefer the tray with the roller ball in for paint loading.

Not seen these - where can you get them?

I think the make is "Bison" but I could be wrong. Comes in a complete
pack with trays, pads etc. It's not a roller ball really, just a fat
ridged roller at one end of the tray that transfers paint to the pad.

All the ones I've bought recently have been Italian, "Cinghiale" which
means "wild boar" and I suspect it's the Italian version of Bison since
they look identical.

Examples he

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/f/FLDPPT/
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/Tools/Paint_Pads/

That'll be a fiver (+VAT) please, where do I send the invoice?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

A couple of people have mentioned pads are quicker - I just can't see
that at all. Speed of use is my only (but nevertheless overriding)
reason for preferring rollers.

What size pads and rollers are we talking about?

I'm talking about 9" pads v. 12" rollers. I know you can get a lot more
paint onto the wall with a roller, but I've found the overall painting
process (getting the paint on then spreading it into an even coat) to be
quicker with pads.

This is of course only on smooth(ish) surfaces - if you're painting a
textured surface, you're far better off with a HVLP sprayer.

--
Grunff
Junior Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medway Handyman View Post
Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257
Fantastic - just fantastic - like a sprayed finish

Great!

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-09 14:38:14 +0100, Grunff said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

Yes, I use them exclusively. They give a much better finish than
rolling or brushing, and are quicker to use. I treat them as
disposable, so I buy enough for the job and throw away at the end of
each session.

So how are these used? I bought a set of Harris ones complete with
a tray for a painting job onto sealed plasterboard. I've never used
them before.

Is the action to dab with them, wipe, dab and wipe or is there Deeper Magic?

Anything special for the edges or other tips of note?

thx

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spares For Hyundai Corded Drill

In article ,
peterx666 wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to get spares for my Hyundai PH14-1500-H corded
drill?

Have broken the bottom plastic cage and as it contains the brushes the
drill wont work - blasted pest - only had the drill two days

Can anyone help? have searched everywhere

If a Google search on Hyundai drill spares gets you nowhere it's likely
they simply don't supply any - in common with many cheap power tools. You
just junk it and buy a new one.

Appreciate and comment

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

So how are these used? I bought a set of Harris ones complete with a
tray for a painting job onto sealed plasterboard. I've never used them
before.

Is the action to dab with them, wipe, dab and wipe or is there Deeper
Magic?

The way I do it is as follows. Dip the face of the pad into paint, then
lightly squeeze out the excess on the ridged part of the tray, leaving
plenty of paint on the pad, but not so much that it's dripping off.

Now apply the loaded pad to the wall, smearing the paint on over a 2-4
square foot area. Once you have all the paint off the pad and on the
wall, go over the area again to even up the coat.

Anything special for the edges or other tips of note?

Can't think of any off hand. I'm a big fan of (good quality) masking
tape; makes things a lot quicker.

By the way, the Harris ones are the ones I use. I must have used dozens
of sets so far.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-11 15:30:59 +0100, Grunff said:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

Ah good.

Actually that's pretty much what I've done and it certainly does look
better than a roller or brush result.

I did find quite a lot of fleecy stuff on the pad so will have to think
of how to get rid of that before using the next one. I agree with you
that it's not worth washing these things. Perhaps a blow with the
airline to remove the fluff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

EricP wrote:
I prefer the tray with the roller ball in for paint loading.

Not seen these - where can you get them?

I think the make is "Bison" but I could be wrong. Comes in a complete
pack with trays, pads etc. It's not a roller ball really, just a fat
ridged roller at one end of the tray that transfers paint to the pad.

All the ones I've bought recently have been Italian, "Cinghiale" which
means "wild boar" and I suspect it's the Italian version of Bison
since they look identical.

Examples he

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/f/FLDPPT/
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/Tools/Paint_Pads/

That'll be a fiver (+VAT) please, where do I send the invoice?

Take it personally to our head office; Chemical Ali House, 47 Hussain Drive,
Bhagdad.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 9, 10:04 am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Far superior to rollers. In fact, I can't understand that when those
DIY programmes on TV more often than not show people using rollers...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

I did find quite a lot of fleecy stuff on the pad so will have to think
of how to get rid of that before using the next one.

You mean this stuff came off the pad and was left on the tray/wall? I've
seen this with the odd pad, but I assumed it was a 'faulty' pad, having
picked up excess fluff during manufacture or packing. Most pads I've
used have been free of loose material.

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-12 08:36:59 +0100, Grunff said:

Andy Hall wrote:

I did find quite a lot of fleecy stuff on the pad so will have to think
of how to get rid of that before using the next one.

You mean this stuff came off the pad and was left on the tray/wall?
I've seen this with the odd pad, but I assumed it was a 'faulty' pad,
having picked up excess fluff during manufacture or packing. Most pads
I've used have been free of loose material.

Yes it was the one in the pack with the tray. The second wasn't
anything like as bad. In the end, what I did was to wash the pad
thoroughly under the tap, squeeze out the water and set aside to dry
(in best Airfix manner).

Are there smaller pads available? I have some panels to paint using
the same paint but these have an outer frame and flat panel in the
middle. Alternatively I could spray them I suppose but it's a
PITA getting all of that out just for some quite small areas. Even
so, that might be the better finish for them.....

many thanks

andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Are there smaller pads available? I have some panels to paint using
the same paint but these have an outer frame and flat panel in the
middle. Alternatively I could spray them I suppose but it's a PITA
getting all of that out just for some quite small areas. Even so, that
might be the better finish for them.....

I buy these sets of 3:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;?_...rch=paint+pads

The very small ones are handy for touch-up and for small pieces of work.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-12 13:00:20 +0100, Grunff said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Are there smaller pads available? I have some panels to paint using
the same paint but these have an outer frame and flat panel in the
middle. Alternatively I could spray them I suppose but it's a
PITA getting all of that out just for some quite small areas. Even
so, that might be the better finish for them.....

I buy these sets of 3:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;?_...rch=paint+pads

The very small ones are handy for touch-up and for small pieces of work.

Ah. Yes . That looks like it would work.

thanks

A.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-12 13:00:20 +0100, Grunff said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Are there smaller pads available? I have some panels to paint
using the same paint but these have an outer frame and flat panel
in the middle. Alternatively I could spray them I suppose but
it's a PITA getting all of that out just for some quite small
areas. Even so, that might be the better finish for them.....

I buy these sets of 3:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;?_...rch=paint+pads

The very small ones are handy for touch-up and for small pieces of
work.

Ah. Yes . That looks like it would work.

Wickes do a set with a small pad, large pad, corner pad, edging pad, window
frame and sash pad http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/190017

Which might be useful.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-12 16:39:53 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-09-12 13:00:20 +0100, Grunff said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Are there smaller pads available? I have some panels to paint
using the same paint but these have an outer frame and flat panel
in the middle. Alternatively I could spray them I suppose but
it's a PITA getting all of that out just for some quite small
areas. Even so, that might be the better finish for them.....

I buy these sets of 3:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;?_...rch=paint+pads

The very small ones are handy for touch-up and for small pieces of
work.

Ah. Yes . That looks like it would work.

Wickes do a set with a small pad, large pad, corner pad, edging pad, window
frame and sash pad http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/190017

Which might be useful.

Yes, thank you. Looks ideal

A.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-12 16:39:53 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-09-12 13:00:20 +0100, Grunff said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Are there smaller pads available? I have some panels to paint
using the same paint but these have an outer frame and flat panel
in the middle. Alternatively I could spray them I suppose
but it's a PITA getting all of that out just for some quite small
areas. Even so, that might be the better finish for them.....

I buy these sets of 3:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;?_...rch=paint+pads

The very small ones are handy for touch-up and for small pieces of
work.

Ah. Yes . That looks like it would work.

Wickes do a set with a small pad, large pad, corner pad, edging pad,
window frame and sash pad http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/190017

Which might be useful.

Yes, thank you. Looks ideal

Will you let me know what they are like if you try them please?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Will you let me know what they are like if you try them please?

They do look like a good set, especially the pointy one.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
Grunff wrote:

By the way, the Harris ones are the ones I use. I must have used dozens
of sets so far.

In case it's of any use to anyone, it seems Sainsburys are selling these off
cheap at the moment. I picked up a couple of sets in the Folkestone branch
for 2.29 a pack (reduced from 5 or 6 quid)

Not used them before - but this thread convinced me that maybe they aren't
a crap gimmick after all...

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-15 20:52:48 +0100, (dmc) said:

In article ,
Grunff wrote:

By the way, the Harris ones are the ones I use. I must have used dozens
of sets so far.

In case it's of any use to anyone, it seems Sainsburys are selling these off
cheap at the moment. I picked up a couple of sets in the Folkestone branch
for 2.29 a pack (reduced from 5 or 6 quid)

Not used them before - but this thread convinced me that maybe they aren't
a crap gimmick after all...

Darren

Well, I'm pleased with the results, and I'm picky.

This was for my cloakroom remodeling project, the finishing of which
has involved painting of parts of three walls.

The walls themselves are new plasterboard which had been taped with
glassfibre tape and jointed with jointing filler in three layers, each
feathering out further from the previous one. I sanded with 120grit
paper at each stage.

This leaves some areas with the paper surface only and some with the
jointing filler - e.g. joints and screwhead positions - those having
been filled in the same way.

Halogen downlighters are fitted in the ceiling close to the walls such
that the cones of the beams intersect the wall and produce parabolic
light patterns. This shows any surface defect on the wall very
markedly.
I took quite a lot of trouble over the filling and sanding to avoid that.

The walls were then sealed with two coats of plasterboard sealer and
allowed to dry for a day before a final rub with a damp cloth and after
dry, a tack cloth.

Finally, two coats of Farrow and Ball Estate Emulsion were applied
using paint pads - new one for each coat - allowing drying over night.

It's impossible to see where the plaster filler places end and paper
begins or any of the screw positions. The surface effect is pretty
good as well - no brush marks or roller peel effect - and this is
looking at the walls very closely. From half a metre away, flat
colour and nothing more.

It seemed to be that the two main points of use are not to overload or
underload the pad and not to muck about with the paint too much once
it's on the wall.

That just leaves final electrical fit, refitting of the pan to the
wall, fabrication of a small hardwood skirt for the vanity shelf and
selection of some door furniture from Clayton Munroe's catalogue and
it's finished.

I did promise that it would be finished by Christmas,............. (2006).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I think the make is "Bison" but I could be wrong. Comes in a complete
pack with trays, pads etc. It's not a roller ball really, just a fat
ridged roller at one end of the tray that transfers paint to the pad.

All the ones I've bought recently have been Italian, "Cinghiale" which
means "wild boar" and I suspect it's the Italian version of Bison
since they look identical.

Examples he

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/f/FLDPPT/

I'm puzzled by the double tray and roller arrangement, how do you use it? It
looks like 2 separate compartments, do you put paint in both sections, or
just use the roller in the smaller section to even out the paint on the pad
after loading it from the roller in the larger one?

It's many years since I tried paint pads, they were a new invention then and
I wasn't much impressed. You had to dilute the paint and the result was
thin and patchy. Is it still necessary to water the paint down or can you
use it as it comes from the can?

Paint and possibly the pads have changed a lot since I first tried pads over
30 years ago. After reading the favourable comments here I'm tempted to
give them another try.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-16 10:30:32 +0100, Mike Clarke said:

It's many years since I tried paint pads, they were a new invention then and
I wasn't much impressed. You had to dilute the paint and the result was
thin and patchy. Is it still necessary to water the paint down or can you
use it as it comes from the can?

I used it from the can, poured into a tray - no dilution. This was
Farrow and Ball Estate Emulsion which they claim to be "traditional
paint". They also do a "modern emulsion". Whether this relates to
the formulation, I am not certain. The main focus of the product
information is that the Estate Emulsion has a very low sheen - i.e. a
very flat matt. The Modern Emulsion has a higher sheen - satin.

For some panels, I sprayed the paint. For that purpose, I diluted it
by 10% with water. That has worked satisfactorily as well.

Paint and possibly the pads have changed a lot since I first tried pads over
30 years ago. After reading the favourable comments here I'm tempted to
give them another try.

I was pleasantly suprised with the results.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-15 20:52:48 +0100, (dmc) said:

In article ,
Grunff wrote:

[...]

You should have contacted a tv company. Grand Designs (Cloakrooms)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-16 13:13:52 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

I did promise that it would be finished by Christmas,............. (2006).

You should have contacted a tv company. Grand Designs (Cloakrooms)

I did try.

They said that they could only show it after the watershed on account
of the child abuse.

I haven't been as abused for a long time.

Router Pads RonB Woodworking 2 December 5th 05 05:33 PM
Air Pads Errol Groff Metalworking 11 June 3rd 05 03:31 AM
Painting pads Tony Pacc Home Repair 9 March 15th 05 03:38 AM
Knee Pads RichardC Woodworking 17 March 7th 05 03:56 PM
TIE-ON CHAIR PADS - PDF J T Woodworking 0 March 5th 05 09:33 AM