Michael Shaffer

Default About to start welding does this look safe?

The wire came with the welder (on ebay) so I thought it was ok, I guess
I'll just install an outlet in my garage, I have one extra 220v slot
left in my breaker panel.

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
On Fri, 07 May 2004 05:56:29 -0400, Michael Shaffer
wrote:

Thanks for the help, one more question. I don't have a 220v plug, is it
ok to just push the wires into the dryer plug I'm using (the breaker is
OFF) for now? Here's a pic (btw I made sure the breaker is definitely
off on this outlet, it has its own 30amp breaker).

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/w3.jpg

once I plug the wires into the socket, I'll turn the breaker on and not
go near the outlet while it's on (it's in the laundry room).

You already agreed to go get and use a plug elsewhere, so I'll
ignore that gross safety violation. ;-)

Also I'm 95% sure of this, but the white and black wires don't go in any
particular side right?

If you are using 2 conductor (+ground) Romex for 220V power, the
white is considered as a black, and treated as one, Just like if you
are using Romex inside the walls of a house, put black or colored tape
over the white wire where it is exposed at both ends where you
stripped the sheath back, as a reminder that it is not a neutral.
Same thing for 3-wire extension cords used for straight 220V.

The power wires can go in either order, as long as the bare Ground
wire goes on the L-shaped ground pin.

Oh, and Yellow sheath Romex is only 12-gauge, rated for 20 Amps.
Dryer plugs are 30 amps. (Busted by your own photos! ;-) If something
goes wrong the wire can melt & catch fire before the 30A breaker pops.

You can use this setup for a few days, but you really do need to make
a proper extension cord for your welder using 10-gauge SO flexible
cord, or put in a permanent outlet in the garage just for your welder.

Use 6-4 Romex (or #6 wire inside conduit) for the new receptacle, so
you can easily convert it to a 50A 120/240V circuit when you decide
you need a bigger welder, or a plasma cutter, or...

-- Bruce --