larry g

Default About to start welding does this look safe?

THIS HAS GOT TO BE A TROLL!. Or your way to inexperienced to be doing this.
I see in the first picture that your using Romex cable for extension cord.
The first few dingle berries to burn away the insulation on that will expose
you to some voltages.. If you think you can run on just black and white you
will experience ground paths you won't like. While your getting that plug
get a basic wiring book and follow it to the letter or quit while your
ahead.
lg
no neat sig line

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
In that picture the wires aren't connected, they're just sitting in
front of the plug.. I haven't plugged them in yet. I guess I'll go get a
plug now. I wonder if Sears sells them.

Don Bruder wrote:
In article Fwymc.25122$Z%5.7171@okepread01,
Michael Shaffer wrote:

Thanks for the help, one more question. I don't have a 220v plug, is it
ok to just push the wires into the dryer plug I'm using (the breaker is
OFF) for now?

Not just "no", or even "NO!", or even "*NO!!!*", but "**** NO, YOU CRAZY
SONUVVABITCH!!!!!"

Does that get the message across clearly enough?

Get to the hardware store or welding supply, and get a proper plug.
Then, since it's quite clear (by virtue of the fact that you needed to
ask the question at all - if you had any idea what's involved, you would
have already known the answer without needing to ask) that you have *NO
CLUE* what you're doing in that area, hire somebody to install it
properly for you. Unlike the welder, that sort of screwing around *CAN*
get you killed. What I see in the picture is a fire and/or electrocution
just waiting for a chance to happen. Never mind the lack of any
grounding, which may leave the welder's case electrically "hot" enough
to fry you crispy the first time you turn it on.