Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Paint Pads

On 2007-09-15 20:52:48 +0100, (dmc) said:

In article ,
Grunff wrote:

By the way, the Harris ones are the ones I use. I must have used dozens
of sets so far.

In case it's of any use to anyone, it seems Sainsburys are selling these off
cheap at the moment. I picked up a couple of sets in the Folkestone branch
for 2.29 a pack (reduced from 5 or 6 quid)

Not used them before - but this thread convinced me that maybe they aren't
a crap gimmick after all...

Darren

Well, I'm pleased with the results, and I'm picky.

This was for my cloakroom remodeling project, the finishing of which
has involved painting of parts of three walls.

The walls themselves are new plasterboard which had been taped with
glassfibre tape and jointed with jointing filler in three layers, each
feathering out further from the previous one. I sanded with 120grit
paper at each stage.

This leaves some areas with the paper surface only and some with the
jointing filler - e.g. joints and screwhead positions - those having
been filled in the same way.

Halogen downlighters are fitted in the ceiling close to the walls such
that the cones of the beams intersect the wall and produce parabolic
light patterns. This shows any surface defect on the wall very
markedly.
I took quite a lot of trouble over the filling and sanding to avoid that.

The walls were then sealed with two coats of plasterboard sealer and
allowed to dry for a day before a final rub with a damp cloth and after
dry, a tack cloth.

Finally, two coats of Farrow and Ball Estate Emulsion were applied
using paint pads - new one for each coat - allowing drying over night.

It's impossible to see where the plaster filler places end and paper
begins or any of the screw positions. The surface effect is pretty
good as well - no brush marks or roller peel effect - and this is
looking at the walls very closely. From half a metre away, flat
colour and nothing more.

It seemed to be that the two main points of use are not to overload or
underload the pad and not to muck about with the paint too much once
it's on the wall.

That just leaves final electrical fit, refitting of the pan to the
wall, fabrication of a small hardwood skirt for the vanity shelf and
selection of some door furniture from Clayton Munroe's catalogue and
it's finished.

I did promise that it would be finished by Christmas,............. (2006).