Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or seen so far ?

"Glen" wrote in message

"Dave Gordon" d@p wrote in message

How big would the manual have to be to tell that retard all the things he
should not use his lawnmower for.
"Do not cut your finger nails with this device"
"Do not cut your hair with this device"
"This is not an extractor fan"

I teach HS wood shop. While most of my kids are pretty good, some are
dumber than a bucket of rocks. A few years back (thank God it was in
another teacher's class, not mine) one boy, an emo, had long fingernails.
He thought it would be "cool" to cut a notch in his nail on his pointer
finger, right hand. Sort of like a snakes tongue. He decided to use the
big Powermatic band saw. He ended up splitting his finger right up to the
first joint. Dumb.

Last year I caught two who were doing something almost as dumb. Anothe
kid was turning a handle for a gavel out of walnut. The piece broke and
he through the parts in the scrap bucket and started over. Two of my more
"genius" kids saw the piece and thought it would make a pretty ornate hash
pipe. The waited until they thought I wasn't looking and the one was
holding the handle vertically in his hands while the other was preparing
to bore through it with the drill press. Fortunately I caught them before
they turned on the DP.

If you ever work in a HS shop, believe me, you will soon learn the meaning
of stupid!

It goes with youth. We were all there at some point - thought we knew
better, or thought we knew it all. It's a rite of passage thing. That's
why experienced people mentor inexperienced people. My only question is why
the experienced people talk about the inexperienced ones as if it's some
surprise, or as if it's something unique. You really expected something
different/smarter out of people at this stage of life?

--

-Mike-