Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT, I guess. What happens with FIOS

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:49:15 -0400, George
wrote:

mm wrote:
A friend tells me tonight that if you subscribe to FIOS from Verizon,
at least when you use it for everything you have (tv, internet, phone,
or any subset) when they install the optical cable, they take out your
copper.

So that you can never go back.

I am no fan of phone companies but I don't see the point. FiOS is fiber
to the premise. They can run anything on it including phone service. So
there is little point for them to maintain a dual plant system of both
fiber optic and copper cabling.

Someday they'll probably take every thing out of the central office
that is needed to run on coppper, but until then, what maintenance is
required for a homeowner's little piece of wire that he's not using?

As a subscriber you buy a service. If you buy dial tone service I don't
see why it would matter if it were provisioned on copper or fiber. Or in

Doesn't it cost a lot more on Fios than what I have now?

the case of DSL you are buying broadband data. Why would it matter to
you if it came via DSL on copper or over fiber?

I think DSL probably works better on fiber, but there wouldn't be any
improvement for voice phone calls.

If fios isn't more expensive, there is still the bit about power
failures. Why would one want to have to have a UPS to power fios,
even if it worked, when a copper wired phone requires no electicity
except what the phone company provides? It's nice when the power is
out and you can't watch tv and your UPS isn't big enough to spend more
than 10 minutes on the computer, to talk on the phone all night.