Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT, I guess. What happens with FIOS

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:54:46 -0400, Frank
frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

mm wrote:
A friend tells me tonight that if you subscribe to FIOS from Verizon,
at least when you use it for everything you have (tv, internet, phone,
or any subset) when they install the optical cable, they take out your
copper.

So that you can never go back.

He says that even if you sell your house, the new owner can't get
simple copper phone or DSL line, unless he pays someone privately to
reinstall the copper wires.

That's why my friend kept a simple phone line, and didn't get VOIP.

That's what he says, and he's no dummy. Does anyone think he's wrong?

Is Verizon only in the mid-atlantic, or the northeast?

(Missa, this would explain why it is worth it to dig those trenches
and holes to run lines where there are few or no subscribers. Talk to
me later.)

I hear they like to take out the copper but everything in your house is
yours

Maybe, maybe not.` Ng_reader said the same thing, but I don't know
why you people think that. Used to be, people leased their phone,
even though it say on their own table or was screwed to their own
wall.

You can lease furniture, you can lease a piano, you can rent an
electric wheelchair, you can rent a tuxedo and put it in your closet.
Why would you assume that everything in your house is yours, without
reading the terms of service, which probably vary from state to state,
and which can probably change on 30 days notice published at the
public utility commission and posted on the internet at
www.who-looks-there?

so you just tell them not to.

Maybe, but I woudl stand over them from start to finish. A) It's hard
to tell if someone is listening when you're talking. B) Even if they
say OK, I won't take them out, they can deny later that they said it.
C) They can say they said it but they forgot. They can actually
forget. They can schedule you for replacement copper and never show
up, and how long will

You never can tell what people will do when you're not looking.

I have Comcast cable and internet
but still have old Verizon phones. I had choice of Comcast or Verizon
but was reticent to hook up with the "phone company" who has always had
atrocious service. Also don't want all my eggs in one basket.

Frank